Piazzetta Sabrina yearly, oil lubrication

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ravippe

Mar 12, 2018
New Hampshire
So everything is working well on my Piazzetta Sabrina. Im kind of a nut when it comes to making sure its cleaned, weekly, daily and yearly.

There are a couple things Im not really sure of.

After cleaning the inside box yearly, and making sure the fan blades dont have crud on them,...

The convection fan i blow with compressed air, and vacuum, as well as the inside of the unit.
The bottom Blower motor i vacuum all around and blow air on the blades on the bottom.

Do those parts need oil?
The convection fan doesn't seem to have a place to add the oil. A nice person that worked with Pascal, said that he drilled a hole on the outer edge of the fan housing, and he drips oil inside.. but that only was because he heard alot of noise.

The Bottom exaust fan doesnt seem to have and "input" port. there is a little gap in between the motor and the blade, but the bottom of the motor doesn't have anything to "drip" oil in. it seems like its a sealed unit and even the manual doesn't really say anything cept, clean the blades.

I know certain stoves and motors have certain requirements. I just want to "AVOID" a problem. I can always get a new convection motor for 120 bucks, or a new blower exaust for 299-399... so its no sweat. But how would you, or should you even oil these? or at least where do i tell the dealer to pay attention too.

Please see pictures

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

I'm guessing here as I do not own the same stove, but the second picture where the fan blade and mount plate are removed I'm assuming there is a bearing there, but as I have never taken it apart I'm not sure. If the unit is completely sealed you'd have to find a way to get it apart. There's probably two bearings with shields that you can pop off. If they are not rubber shields then you may have to drill a very tiny hole to re-oil them.

If it's truly a steel shield bearing, there's a motorcycle repair site that shows you how to do it: http://www.dansmc.com/wheelbearing.htm

See the bottom of the page.

Combustion blower- It is sealed. It is of german design, and,if original, probably is german, with very high quality bearings. You cannot get to them unless you disassemble it. They tend to last a long time. Most wait until it makes noises, then take apart and replace the bearings, If you are interested how, look on youtube for a video of replacing Austroflamm Integra motor bearings.
Your room blower motor may have bearings or bushings. You might be able to get some in them, just by putting some oil around the shaft, sometimes even using a small pin to open a small area at the seals,or,if the seals are worn, some will get in anyway. But, more importantly, at the other end of the "squirrel cage" ,you will see a rubber bushing. Inside this is a small bushing, bronze or nylon, that the shaft of the blower wheel rides in. The rubber part,bushing and all usually pop out, but some are notched, and have to be turned a but,then pulled out. Preferred oil for these,bearings and bushings, is anderol 465, but, any automobile full synthetic motor oil is good,also. Many people use small needles, especially in ball bearings, because you can push between the seals and the races, inject oil and remove, without damaging seals, In my experience, pharmacy's will hand out for free a few diabetic needles.

Reactions: maraakate
Thanks both you! Appreciate the help. I will wait till i hear noise while its running. It runs 24 hours with no noise.

Its only in its 4th season. Since the fan is only 299 dollar's... I will probably purchase a spare and keep it in my basement. I also have a spare convection fan also. I like to have spare parts for the wear and tear items. Because during winter those parts can take a while to ship and out of stock... Unless you go to those other sites which charge an arm and leg. I love eastcoasthearth.com

Thanks for the bushing, take apart idea, but for a non mechanical guy, ill can have my pellet guy replace he motor IF in another few years i notice what you said.

Merry xmas!

Its good to know that you cant really oil it... Cept for the convection fan.

I will continue to blast it with compress air etc during yearly cleaning