Pickaroon rocks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BIGChrisNH

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2015
New Hampshire
Split two cords now with help from a Stihl Pickaroon. Not sure why I waited all this time to get one. What a back saver! Split big rounds in half with splitter vertical style, then went to horizontal orientation and lifted all the half rounds with the pickaroon. I could totally get out of a chair the next morning without making an old man noise. So, win-win!

Best thing I use mine for is standing at the end of the tailgate of my pickup and reaching up and hauling down the rounds without having to crawl up onto the back of the pickup and humping them back down to the end of the tailgate so I can reach them from the ground.

Yeah it's a fantastic tool. It bites into the ends of the rounds surprisingly well

I want to get my father in law one for his birthday coming up, I'll check those out. Thanks Montanalocal

Oh, and why do you think those are the best?

I bought a 36 inch one, didn't like, it and returned, then made one from an axe. Pic with red painted head. I used it a lot, until I made the hammer version.

Made another from 6 or 7 ft of 1-1/8 diameter closet rod wood pole for hooking wood out of the trailer. This idea was from Harry on ASite. (I had made one long ago from conduit. Too heavy. Wood pole is plenty strong and much lighter, and can be used one handed.) Metal connector is a compression fitting for electrical conduit. It spreads the load out and reinforces the wood through hole. Hook is a 1/2 inch Gr 5 bolt. Forgot to measure, but I think about 3 inches past the wood pole to the sharp tip. Heated and air cooled to anneal. Ground to shape and benty slightly for the hook. Harry used a hex nut on either side of the pole. I tack welded a short piece of curved pipe on the lower side to prevent the hook from rotating. Then heated and oil quenched to add some hardness and strength back. I also cut about half length of the pole flat on the left side. Right handed grip, automatically aligns the hook end. I use this to unload every single piece from the pickup box/trailer. Very nice.

Latest, I made this from an old framing hammer that the owner had destroyed by pounding the face on metal framing bar. I ground the back side to sharpen the point, and the sides to narrow the points. I grew up using a bale hook on the farm, so am accustomed to an 'arm extension'. I use this all the time to reach across the splitter, pull rounds from the table or log lift, and onto the beam. One thing I found accidentally but the two points give a much better grip than single point. I can twist the wrist and turn the rounds. Single point hooks pivot and come loose. The two points stays bit and twists the round around. For two handed, I hook the far end of round with the hammer, and pick up the near end with my left hand. Big difference in how far I have to bend over. Love it.

Edit 3/12/17. Logrite is top quality

Edit 3/13. Added notes and pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0097.JPG
    IMG_0097.JPG
    206.4 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_0093.JPG
    IMG_0093.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_0091.JPG
    IMG_0091.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_0099.JPG
    IMG_0099.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_0100.JPG
    IMG_0100.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_0101.JPG
    IMG_0101.JPG
    216.7 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
Oh, and why do you think those are the best?

I checked several sites, and these seemed the most sturdy and reasonably priced. I like mine, I got the 18 in. but after using it would get a longer one.

I got mine in blue. Logrite brand they make stihl's for them wonderful tool. I'm looking at ordering a cant hook from them also light weight tough as nails tools.

Yep my father bought me one for Christmas a few years ago, one of the best gifts ever and a total back saver!

Reactions: Lone_Gun
I have one made from a broken axe handle and an old galvanized spike, but I didn't wind up liking it because the spike would bend.

I think I have an old railroad spike in the shed- maybe that'd be good with some grinding and bending.

I made the blue one from an old axe head without a handle last year and once I used it, wished I had one years ago! The black one is a flat bladed pick I converted into one a few weeks ago. I have yet to test it, since the paint has no blemishes yet.

da3371179e2d579d6ee178bfe0694bc1.jpg

LG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been wanting a pickaroon for awhile and I have 3+ cord to split and stack so reading this post got me looking online. On my way to the transfer station this morning I stopped at R&R Power equipment, the local saw shop. I asked what they had and they showed me this Forester model, at $25.95 the price was right but I was thinking I wanted something longer, I'm 6.3". Anyway I bought it and split about a quarter cord of ash and black birch and the pickaroon worked great. Saved my back. 7f9dc1724f8e22839b94d836940f083e.jpg6881c17a1635e3a92c8588a01daa95c0.jpg

I got mine in blue. Logrite brand they make stihl's for them wonderful tool. I'm looking at ordering a cant hook from them also light weight tough as nails tools.
I got 3 of the cant hooks...one with the legs...and the a pickaroon...we don't baby them and they are extremely durable...with a lifetime warranty you can't go wrong!

Made another...

Hey man, great work! I have a question about pickaroons. I made a home made one and it just never works right. I smash the pickaroon into the end of the log, and it always just bounces out and never sticks in.

I made it out of 30" of thick wall pipe with a 1/2" threaded rod through it, filed down to a point with a slight hook. It's quite heavy. It also gives quite a shock, or vibration when it contacts the log. What am I doing wrong?

It could be the size of the point, the angle, or the wood.
I have the fiskars XA22, which is very light. You have to flick it to get it to bite the wood.
There are splits it won’t get a grip in, but even then the pickaroon is great, I just use it to tip the split vertically and that makes it an easy reach to grab it

Best thing I use mine for is standing at the end of the tailgate of my pickup and reaching up and hauling down the rounds without having to crawl up onto the back of the pickup and humping them back down to the end of the tailgate so I can reach them from the ground.
My son was making fun of the old man using mine in this manner...now we fight over it...lol have to get another one.

It could be the size of the point, the angle, or the wood.
I have the fiskars XA22, which is very light. You have to flick it to get it to bite the wood.
There are splits it won’t get a grip in, but even then the pickaroon is great, I just use it to tip the split vertically and that makes it an easy reach to grab it

I like how light the handle is on the Fiskar's pickaroon. The only thing that could make it better would be a quick release hip holster so it was always at the ready!