picking the right one!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

spoolie25

Oct 18, 2017
north nj
i went and looked at a few stoves today. very undecided about alot. what type of stove to get. if i want an ash pan. if i want to install myself. i am very handy and i do under we are plaing with fire. i guess i cant go with a used stove do to epa regulations has to be the new epa laws as per my local laws. i was going to find a nice used stove. and advice guys and gals. stove has to heat 1400 square foot. its on the basment its half underground. amd i will have vents with fans on them to pull heat up . it does not need to be a pretty stove just a basic model. i was looking at lopi stoves today they are a nice stove problem being that they are the only dealer in my area and i was reading they dont do internet sales on parts. jotul stoves are nice was looking at the f500 . i am not sure if i should go with a nice homedepot stove since its my first stove. not sure what to do . thanks for reading my rambeling mess lol.

I went with a cheap stove to start, an Englander NC-30, bought through Home Depot. Free shipping to the store and they will load it on a trailer or truck with a forklift. $750 + tax during a spring sale. You will spend more than that on a chimney or flue liner.
It's a popular stove, enough demand so that I will be able to sell it when I decide on a fancier stove. It does not burn as long as a cat stove but it is long enough between loads to not be annoying.
Lot's of posts on this forum about Englander stoves.
Also look at YouTube videos about various stoves.

Last edited:
Are you familiar with Woodstock stoves? Their website is www.woodstove.com. I don't have one yet, but people who have them absolutely love them. They are a top stove company, but smaller and very personal, no dealers - everything is direct from company to customer and they will answer the phone during business hours and talk with you through every step of the process in getting the best stove for your set up. They have a big sale going on through the end of this week and a let you try the stove through the end of the year and return it for a full refund (including shipping cost) if you don't like it! All this about the company I can speak to from experience, as I have been dealing with them over the past couple weeks as I am deciding which stove to get as I upgrade from an undersized Jotul. Good luck!

Reactions: au2183
Get something your family can enjoy when your not around anymore like an Ashley or Napoleon maybe a pacific energy nice heavy stoves you feel like you really made a purchase with one of these. I always look at new stoves when I can some are of poor quality and lack of construction be ware. I personally buy old heavy steel stoves, lots of new stoves can’t match construction and material quality of the old stuff plus I’m a believer in reusing.

Get something your family can enjoy when your not around anymore like an Ashley or Napoleon maybe a pacific energy nice heavy stoves you feel like you really made a purchase with one of these. I always look at new stoves when I can some are of poor quality and lack of construction be ware. I personally buy old heavy steel stoves, lots of new stoves can’t match construction and material quality of the old stuff plus I’m a believer in reusing.
it has to be the new epa regulated stoves. unless i fined a use one from 2015 i need a new one

I've got the Englander in my basement (half underground) and really like it. Good bang for the buck. I personally don't use the ash pan, I had one on another stove before this one and I never used it on that either, I just think it's easier to just scoop them out.

Could not do without an easy to use ash pan. The Oslo has to be emptied every morning, every heating season, like now.
No pooper scooping to make dust.
Damn Spring is not coming.;sick

Could not do without an easy to use ash pan. The Oslo has to be emptied every morning, every heating season, like now.
No pooper scooping to make dust.
Damn Spring is not coming.;sick
Everyday? I’ve had 2 F-500’s and ran them full time. I certainly never emptied ash each day... it is a messy stove though. Front door spills ash real bad, ash pan isn’t very deep.

Ashley and Napoleon? Really? These brands aren’t know to be all that durable. Napoleon isn’t all that bad, but Ashley isn’t good...
Some older stoves are over built, you are correct. That doesn’t mean they outperform new stoves by any means.

Reactions: lsucet and Ashful
Everyday? I’ve had 2 F-500’s and ran them full time. I certainly never emptied ash each day... it is a messy stove though. Front door spills ash real bad, ash pan isn’t very deep.

Morning routine in the winter. The Oslo is run 24/7, loaded all day when we're home during the day maybe 6X when in the singles or below and windy. The wood is well seasoned, mix of oaks, ash, soft maple, some white birch.
The ash pan is usuually 3/4 full in the morning. Dumped on the so-called lawns ( ditz move: throwing ashes with live coals against the wind ;em)
Now a righteous word from this old Oslo owner---never ever use the front door. Never Webby ! The design is not good since the ash from the normal side door loads collects in that silly groove in front of the front door to fall over all that The Wife sees.
In fact, most winter wood stove people here without central heat or have it shut off, have to empty ashes at least once a day. Could be Indiana has palm trees ?:p

Morning routine in the winter. The Oslo is run 24/7, loaded all day when we're home during the day maybe 6X when in the singles or below and windy. The wood is well seasoned, mix of oaks, ash, soft maple, some white birch.
The ash pan is usuually 3/4 full in the morning. Dumped on the so-called lawns ( ditz move: throwing ashes with live coals against the wind ;em)
Now a righteous word from this old Oslo owner---never ever use the front door. Never Webby ! The design is not good since the ash from the normal side door loads collects in that silly groove in front of the front door to fall over all that The Wife sees.
In fact, most winter wood stove people here without central heat or have it shut off, have to empty ashes at least once a day. Could be Indiana has palm trees ?:p
I’m very aware of the front door Oslo issues. It’s not common to dump ashes everyday. Maybe it’s the wood you burn.

Running an Oslo here 24-7 in the winter and right now I'm dumping it maybe once a week or week and a half . . . in the dead of winter it's a twice a week operation . . . pretty much the same mix of tree species. I like to have an inch or so of ash in the base of the firebox though for its insulation properties so when I stir up the ashes in the morning before reloading the stove I don't push all of the ash into the ash pan.

And yes . . . using the front loading door makes one big mess with ash and coals dropping on to the ash lip. Pretty much the only time I open the front door is when I am cleaning it.

Ash is stored in a covered metal pail . . . and then in the winter I dump it on to my gravel driveway for traction and to help melt the ice . . . after the ash has cooled in the pail for a few days. Early Fall and late Spring the ash generally gets dumped in the woods . . . again, after it has cooled for several days.

Reactions: Cast Iron
i went and looked at a few stoves today. very undecided about alot. what type of stove to get. if i want an ash pan. if i want to install myself. i am very handy and i do under we are plaing with fire. i guess i cant go with a used stove do to epa regulations has to be the new epa laws as per my local laws. i was going to find a nice used stove. and advice guys and gals. stove has to heat 1400 square foot. its on the basment its half underground. amd i will have vents with fans on them to pull heat up . it does not need to be a pretty stove just a basic model. i was looking at lopi stoves today they are a nice stove problem being that they are the only dealer in my area and i was reading they dont do internet sales on parts. jotul stoves are nice was looking at the f500 . i am not sure if i should go with a nice homedepot stove since its my first stove. not sure what to do . thanks for reading my rambeling mess lol.

Random thoughts . . .

If I am reading this post right . . .

Ash pan: There are pros and cons to ash pans. Some folks have stoves that have them and they love them. Other folks have stoves that have them and hate them. Some folks don't have them and are fine with it. I sincerely believe part of it is whether you grew up or are sold on the idea of an ash pan . . . and the other part is if your experience with a stove is one where the ash pan works well . . . or does not. I like the ash pan in my stove, but other folks with the same make and model say they never use their ash pan. It's all good . . .

Self installation: Making a hearth, installing the stove and chimney can all be done by a person who is handy with tools . . . just be sure your insurance company permits this. In my case there was no increase in the insurance premium, but the policy did state that I had to have a professional install it and sign off on it.

Types of stoves: The long and short of it is that there are a dizzying amount of choices to make. Steel, cast iron or soapstove stove construction. Secondary burner or catalytic stove to achieve cleaner burns. Sizes . . . the best advice I might offer is to see what designs you like and what are sized for your home . . . although if this is in the basement (and especially if the basement is not insulated) I would go larger than what you calculate you would need for your space (personally I like having the stove in my main living space where I can watch the flames and get the most benefit from the heat.)

Lopi,Jotul, Home Depot stoves: Lopi and Jotul stoves are generally considered to be quite nice. Many of the stoves offered at Home Depot, such as Englander and Summer's Heat, are more inexpensive, but are also quite popular here among our members. I think stove brands like Lopi, Jotul, etc. tend to be a bit fancier and higher end, but the cheaper Englander stoves found at Lowes or Home Depot are just as good.

Not sure if any of this helps you out . . . but by all means, stick around and if you have questions, post up your questions. Folks here are more than happy to try to help.

P.S. Don't forget to also look at the cost of the chimney as the chimney is just as important as the stove.

P.S.S. And just as important as the chimney and stove is the quality of the fuel. Garbage in . . . garbage out. Well seasoned wood = happier and warmer home owners. If you don't have your firewood yet, I would encourage you to get your wood sooner rather than later since many a person here has discovered when they order "seasoned" wood in the Fall that the wood is far, far from being seasoned enough to burn in a modern woodstove.

i guess i cant go with a used stove do to epa regulations has to be the new epa laws as per my local laws. i was going to find a nice used stove.
There should be no problem with a used stove as long as it was made under EPA rules, which is nearly anything made after 1990 or so. Personally, I'm not comfortable with buying a used stove, but if you know what you're doing, nothing wrong with it.

As for ash pans, some stoves just come with one like mine did. If so, I'd advise just not using it or trying to make one. The doors tend to leak air with use and have caused problems.

Running an Oslo here 24-7 in the winter and right now I'm dumping it maybe once a week or week and a half . . . in the dead of winter it's a twice a week operation . . . pretty much the same mix of tree species. I like to have an inch or so of ash in the base of the firebox though for its insulation properties so when I stir up the ashes in the morning before reloading the stove I don't push all of the ash into the ash pan.
And yes . . . using the front loading door makes one big mess with ash and coals dropping on to the ash lip. Pretty much the only time I open the front door is when I am cleaning it.
Ash is stored in a covered metal pail . . . and then in the winter I dump it on to my gravel driveway for traction and to help melt the ice . . . after the ash has cooled in the pail for a few days. Early Fall and late Spring the ash generally gets dumped in the woods . . . again, after it has cooled for several days.

Jake has central heat ( oil ? ) set at a comfortable zoned temp so the BTU output and wood need is not the same as no furnace, no thermostats. Could be wrong. So, his Oslo is on a low burn most of the time except when Jake comes home from firefighting. This Oslo is going full bore most of the winter, more ash to dump each day. YMMV.
She will not allow me to dump ashes anywhere near the front or back door, ice or no ice. Obey.

Jake has central heat ( oil ? ) set at a comfortable zoned temp so the BTU output and wood need is not the same as no furnace, no thermostats. Could be wrong. So, his Oslo is on a low burn most of the time except when Jake comes home from firefighting. This Oslo is going full bore most of the winter, more ash to dump each day. YMMV.
She will not allow me to dump ashes anywhere near the front or back door, ice or no ice. Obey.

Partly true. Oil boiler with thermostats set at 60 degrees F, but when I am up and running in the Winter the boiler rarely kicks on except for the occasional early morning on very cold days. In the dead of Winter I am burning at "full speed ahead" . . . then again that's pretty much how I roll most of the time except for the shoulder season when I burn the same way . . . only do partial loads vs. full loads of wood and often switch over to only having to do a fire in the morning and a fire in the evening which translates into fewer ashes.

Reactions: Cast Iron
I’m very aware of the front door Oslo issues. It’s not common to dump ashes everyday. Maybe it’s the wood you burn.
Common ash dumping every day in cold areas with all wood stoves up here, cat and non cat ( and BK too ). Hardwood, well seasoned ( salt & pepper ), some softwoods in shoulder seasons.
You're in palm tree country Webby ;)

Common ash dumping every day in cold areas with all wood stoves up here, cat and non cat ( and BK too ). Hardwood, well seasoned ( salt & pepper ), some softwoods in shoulder seasons.
You're in palm tree country Webby ;)
Hardly. BKs ain’t being dumped everyday, anywhere....
Dumping the ash everyday may have something to do with your lacking performance. It’s best to leave some ash in there to help hold the coals. I had to really be mindful of that back in my non-cat days. Not since I got a BK.

Do BK owners drink kool aid ? :confused:
Great stove , but "no ash dumping" ?
Any firewood, hard or soft, burnt right produces ash residue.....any stove, any firewood species. You burn a stove for 100% heat, burn 24/7, with no backup, there will be ash to dump each day. BK stoves are excellent, but no miracle maker. ( Please excuse me BKVP....:cool: ).

You burn a stove for 100% heat, burn 24/7, with no backup, there will be ash to dump each day.

I'm going to have to disagree with that statement. I burn 24/7 100% for heat, yes I have an oil boiler for back up but that only gets used if we go away for a few days, it doesn't contribute to heating the house unless we're gone and then it only "heats" it to 60F. I don't know what part of vermont you're in but I also live in the northeast so our climates are probably pretty close to the same. That being said I only empty the ashes out once a week. The sunday morning ritual is what the kid calls it.

Reactions: webby3650
I don't know any serious wood burner that dumps ash every single day. That’s just crazy.
Your ashpan is smaller and very messy, all stoves aren’t that way... it may work best for you to dump each day because your stoves requires it, but it’s not common. Maybe try leaving some ash in there to help with longer burns?
You keep being up this 24/7 stuff, as if no one else burns full time. Almost everyone contributing on this site burns full time heating their entire home.

I clean the belly of our stove manually, don't use the ashpan at all. Typically it gets cleaned once every 4-6 weeks when 24/7 burning. During that time it will have burned at least a cord of wood. One of the reasons I love burning doug fir.

Reactions: MikeK
Cast iron, I was doing a cord every 8-10 days in one of my old Jotul Firelights for a period, and I still never had to empty ash every day. There is something very wrong with your setup or habits, if you find yourself having to empty ash every day.

You can stop the BS with palm trees. Heat load is not solely dependent on climate, the size and type of space being heated is a dominant factor.

Last edited: