picking the right one!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Do BK owners drink kool aid ? :confused:
Great stove , but "no ash dumping" ?
Any firewood, hard or soft, burnt right produces ash residue.....any stove, any firewood species. You burn a stove for 100% heat, burn 24/7, with no backup, there will be ash to dump each day. BK stoves are excellent, but no miracle maker. ( Please excuse me BKVP....:cool: ).

Once a week in winter for me, once every 2 weeks in shoulder season. I burn 24x7.

The stove isn't magic, it just has a deep belly.

I Imagine King owners could do it once a month.

Once a week here for the most part...I was removing ashes every 4-5 days for a brief but brutally cold period at the start of January this year when I was pushing the stove extra hard.

I clean the belly of our stove manually, don't use the ashpan at all. Typically it gets cleaned once every 4-6 weeks when 24/7 burning. During that time it will have burned at least a cord of wood. One of the reasons I love burning doug fir.
begreen, do you really go through a cord every 6 weeks or so in our shared climate? I guess I feel pretty lucky to use only 2-1/2 cords in a season, and that's poor quality (but free) wood. Although our house is smaller. As an aside, where do you get your Doug Fir? I'd love to start using it, as my free source is drying up. You can PM me if you like about that.

Ashes, my stove came with an ash tray, but I've never used it after reading other people's problems with them. It's just so trivial to get a flat blade shovel and a metal bucket. Three scoops and your done. No mess if you're careful.

OK, OK I will stop emptying ashes each morning. Mea culpa.
Now you palm tree folks, you may take these ashes for recycling.

My Jotul Firelights would get emptied twice per week, when they were running full tilt. If I tried to go much longer than that, then the pan would overflow and create a mess when I’d withdraw it from the tray.

It’s important to know that you will quickly fill the pan if you aggressively scrape the ashes at each reload, which will cause you to throw away incompletely burned fuel, so you don’t want to be doing that on the Jotul grate system. The stove will burn and hold fuel much better if you keep a good inch of ashes atop the grate, don’t scrape it clean.

Reactions: Sprinter
begreen, do you really go through a cord every 6 weeks or so in our shared climate? I guess I feel pretty lucky to use only 2-1/2 cords in a season, and that's poor quality (but free) wood. Although our house is smaller. As an aside, where do you get your Doug Fir? I'd love to start using it, as my free source is drying up. You can PM me if you like about that.

Ashes, my stove came with an ash tray, but I've never used it after reading other people's problems with them. It's just so trivial to get a flat blade shovel and a metal bucket. Three scoops and your done. No mess if you're careful.
During peak heating season yes. It tapers off during our long shoulder seasons. Our house is old and has had too much glass added over the years. We used to go through about 2.5 cords and as little as 2 cords in a warm el Nino winter. But the past two winters have been colder, longer and we are getting older. My wife complains if the kitchen temp drops below about 72F in the winter so we are burning more. We also have started buying more wood. Each time I tackle scrounging and splitting big rounds I usually have to add some chiropractic visits to the cost. Doug fir should be ubiquitous all through western WA. Ask around. Another benefit is that it seasons quickly. For the past 2 yrs I have gotten green doug fir stacked in the shed in April and it is ready to burn in November. Our bone dry summers help that.

My wife complains if the kitchen temp drops below about 72F in the winter so we are burning more.
Is there a "chuckle" smilie? Same here. Probably next year I'll have to start buying too, as much as it irritates my sensibilities. In this county (Lewis), it seems like all the Doug Fir (and there is a lot) goes straight to the mills but I'm sure I can find a source. I'm getting tired of wrestling with hung-up snags and stuff in the woods with poor footing and all. Getting dangerous for an amateur cutter. Maybe I'll see about getting a load of limbed 8 ft logs or something. I don't mind bucking and splitting, and limbing is a chore.

I'm also starting to realize that something like D. Fir should take up about 20 - 25% less shed space as the poorer species for the same heat value. That's not insignifiant.

I used to get a lot of limbed stumps around 8" diameter and 3-4' long from the Christmas tree farm across the road, but that's drying up. It was handy and free, but very low heat quality wood (Noble and Grand Firs) and hard to split. They lost a lot of the larger trees to a needle cast disease.

Apologies for the side track. I too like to leave about an inch of ash on the floor (of the stove!) and I don't like having to leave a lot of black coals behind. Waste, waste LOL.

Part-timer! ;lol
LOL, Consumption tapers down, not burning until temps get over 50F. We've been burning for the past couple days. Cold and damp again here.

Who will take our surplus ash ? It is free.
Please email your SS#, street address, and all your IRS financials for shipment.

Reactions: Ashful
Ashley and Napoleon? Really? These brands aren’t know to be all that durable. Napoleon isn’t all that bad, but Ashley isn’t good...
Some older stoves are over built, you are correct. That doesn’t mean they outperform new stoves by any means.
I meant Ashley hearth products produced by U.S stove company I don’t think they are the same. When looking at new stoves these are nice heavy stoves usually. Also both these stoves aren’t cheap new. Really.

Ashley and Napoleon? Really? These brands aren’t know to be all that durable. Napoleon isn’t all that bad, but Ashley isn’t good...
Some older stoves are over built, you are correct. That doesn’t mean they outperform new stoves by any means.
I’m not referring to the old Ashley wood stove circulators just the new cast iron ones the old Ashley circulator had some issues for sure but I do still see them for sale around my neck of the woods though.

I meant Ashley hearth products produced by U.S stove company I don’t think they are the same. When looking at new stoves these are nice heavy stoves usually. Also both these stoves aren’t cheap new. Really.
They may look heavy. They are still cheaply made Chinese stoves.

Reactions: Ashful
They may look heavy. They are still cheaply made Chinese stoves.
Too much junk made these days I’ll stick with the old 70s 80s steel stoves just like I said before no cats to clog or tubes that rot just bricks to replace and chimney to clean. I actually look at new stoves all the time not impressed at all. Pacific energy had a few but still questionable. If I win the lottery I’ll look for a new u.s manufactured stove thanks for ensuring my two cents to “be ware” about new purchased stoves.

Early secondary tubes were made of stainless. These did oxidize over time. Most modern stoves and replacement tubes these days are stainless with a good lifespan.

Well now my curiosity has risen and if somebody wanted a good u.s made stove with secondary burn new and with a good warranty for say less than 2000$ is that possible if so what stoves would anybody suggest. I myself would buy an older stove because I’m a stubborn individual that won’t move ahead also my stove codes are somewhat leisurely at the moment.

The choices under $2000 depend on the size stove required and other features that may be strongly desired. Personally I really like a firebox that is deep enough to fit wood in either direction, though we burn mostly N/S, so that is important to me. Others might prefer a shallower stove. Clearances and hearth requirements are a prerequisite for some that may affect choice. Some folks have a short chimney which can restrict choice, especially at high altitude. Flue size is another thing to consider. 8" is going to cost more than 6". There a lots of factors to consider.

If you're considering a new stove, start a new thread that lays out the requirements.

I thought these stoves were made in Bridgeport Alabama is that not correct?
That’s where the headquarters may be, as far as I know, no stoves are being made in Alabama.... there’s some talk that a few models are made in the states, but that’s not been verified. Most definitely not a name that’s synonymous with quality.
The Enerzone line from SBI is the heaviest built stove that I’m aware of for under $2K, great burners too! Easy to use, can’t think of one single service call after many years of selling them. It’s our cheapest stove, and most dependable in my opinion.

The Enerzone line from SBI is the heaviest built stove that I’m aware of for under $2K, great burners too! Easy to use, can’t think of one single service call after many years of selling them. It’s our cheapest stove, and most dependable in my opinion.
I was going to suggest the SBI Drolet HT2000 if a large stove is required.

Reactions: webby3650
I was going to suggest the SBI Drolet HT2000 if a large stove is required.
The Enerzone line has a 3/8” stovetop! Serious build quality for the money.

Last edited:
US Stove Co = junk. Most threads I see discussing them here are from owners dealing with their abundant quality problems.

If looking for a budget stove, it’s pretty hard to beat New England. Many satisfied NC 30 and NC 17 owners, posting here.