Pickup Need Tires....What Load Range???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A buddy of mine has the same truck I bought but a year older...his came with P metric tires on his too. I haven't hauled anything yet but he pulls a heavy camper without issue. I think the P series truck tires are capable of hauling a lot more weight than people think. I believe the manufacturers put them on instead of an LT tire so the truck has a nicer feel and better ride comfort. A lot of people these days use trucks as daily commute vehicles and never really put anything in the bed or pull a trailer. For occasional trailer use...a few loads of wood a season I'd save money and go with the P rated tire. Constant heavy hauling I'd go LT. My last truck I went with P rated Nitto Crosstek tires, which were probably the best tires I've ever bought. They'll go on this new trucks as soon as the OEM tires are worn out.

Letter rating is side wall , load range is a number - from say about 50 up to 123 on joe public stuff, On a truck hauling loads I only look for 120 or higher. several mfg have the same tread pattern in various load ratings. Never seen a P series truck tire, P = passenger likely just fine for soccer mom not for any decent use- it is a truck and that is how mine are used. I do not want a 2 ply sidewall tire blowing out because I have full rated load in the bed.

I recently picked up a pick up, a 98 Chevrolet K1500 Extended Cab for $500. 150k miles and a blown motor. It also needs tires.

This truck will be a daily driver for the 4-5 winter months of the year and will be used as utility truck the rest of the year. It will be used to haul about 4 cords of wood back from the parents 50 miles away over the course of the summer as well.

So that said.....what load range tires should I get? I'm pretty sure most 1/2 ton trucks are sold stock with load range C tires but with a half cord of wood in the back I'm probably getting close to the limits.

Will load range E tires ride too rough with an empty load? Or are they just right for a 4,500lbs (empty) pig?

Thanks!

EDIT. The difference in price is considerable as well. Load Range C goes for about $500 a set for quality name brand. Load Range E costs about $200 more.

I'd go E range for better mileage, better puncture resistance

D range on a 1/2 would be fine too

Skip C range

What Redd said, I think Toyo makes a 6 ply tire that is well rated. Lighter and smoother then a 10ply with a much better load rating. My truck has the factory P rated tires on it still. What I can say, when you are running near or over the load limits, a P rated tired is driveable but add a lot of sway. You get used to it, but definitely not ideal. I run E range tires on the work truck and what I find is they are very harsh when fully inflated, and 'bouncy' below about 65psi. As with anything else, it's a game of give and take.

Ian

Anything being done with load range E tires on a half ton is probably overweight for what the truck is rated for.
I agree with this. I have E rated tires on my truck, but it is single rear tires F350. It hauls firewood, tractor, cars, etc on a fairly regular basis.

For a truck like that D rated is the most you would need.

Status
Not open for further replies.