Pics of Draft Meter and My Settings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin1024

Aug 31, 2016
WOOD
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.png
Here Goes. BTW, thanks for everyone's help here. Fantastic site. The first two pics are the meter I purchased. I hooked it up and the little white ball shot all the way to the top right away. Not sure why. I have a 4 inch chimney liner 33 ft up an existing masonry chimney with OAK. Is this the right meter? Also, check out where my setting is set on the draft adjustment in my little drawing. That's how it came out of the box. Would straight up and down be the lowest draft setting like in the pic?

My P61A was set close to the middle of the range. I have a 6" flue chimney with about a 15' rise outside, so I have a ton of draft. My low draft setting is almost all the way turned counter-clockwise. At the default setting, there was way too much draft. Flames were very very aggressive, and a ton of flying embers during operation. I was losing excessive heat up the flue also. Now I have a nice smooth hot steady flame. Pellet consumption is great, and the external stove temperatures are excellent. I burned 13 bags shy of 3 ton last season. Primary heat source for 1900sq/ft.

My P61A was set close to the middle of the range. I have a 6" flue chimney with about a 15' rise outside, so I have a ton of draft. My low draft setting is almost all the way turned counter-clockwise. At the default setting, there was way too much draft. Flames were very very aggressive, and a ton of flying embers during operation. I was losing excessive heat up the flue also. Now I have a nice smooth hot steady flame. Pellet consumption is great, and the external stove temperatures are excellent. I burned 13 bags shy of 3 ton last season. Primary heat source for 1900sq/ft.
Thanks Cory. Is that a sign of too much draft? I have flying embers all over the place.

Thanks Cory. Is that a sign of too much draft? I have flying embers all over the place.
Usually yes. Start by turning the draft pot down little by little. Wait about 15 minutes in-between each adjustment and watch the flame pattern and ember discharge. Also, if you have a stove temperature magnet, or infrared thermometer, take a surface reading on the side of the stove after each small adjustment. You will notice a small rise as you reduce the draft. If you notice the flames becoming too lazy, and the surface temperature starts dropping, you've gone too far.

Usually yes. Start by turning the draft pot down little by little. Wait about 15 minutes in-between each adjustment and watch the flame pattern and ember discharge. Also, if you have a stove temperature magnet, or infrared thermometer, take a surface reading on the side of the stove after each small adjustment. You will notice a small rise as you reduce the draft. If you notice the flames becoming too lazy, and the surface temperature starts dropping, you've gone too far.
A rookie here. I assume you mean the little plastic screw? And counterclockwise reduces the draft?

A rookie here. I assume you mean the little plastic screw? And counterclockwise reduces the draft?
Correct. Small 1/16" increments.

Ok. Going to go get a magnetic thermometer right now! Just stick it on the side and record temps?
Yep. Find a good medium heat setting on the stove. Make sure you let the stove stabilize in-between each adjustment. Can take up to 30 minutes.

Thanks! Can I just stick this thermometer on the side of the stove to get an accurate reading and then compare as I dial down the draft setting?

Thanks! Can I just stick this thermometer on the side of the stove to get an accurate reading and then compare as I dial down the draft setting?
Yep.

Getting about 390 degrees with magnetic thermostat on the side. Haven't changed draft settings yet.
That's about what mine is with the feed rate on #2 in stove temp mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.