Pics of your purdy stoves, let's see 'em

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because someone has to say it: where's your surge protector Mrpat?

mailbox stove 1.jpg

;lol;lol;lol

Mama always said" If you cant take the heat stay out of the kitchen" Very nice.

not sue how to upload a picture lol but profile picture is mine.

Its just pine boards that I bought and stained and then put coats of polyurethane on built it myself,the last board on right and left match the stain of my stairwell.Then bought old pans and old silverware and used fishing line to hang them.Been like that for 3 years did it before installing stove.

We have three in the house now, but here are the two Whitfields.

We also have a Quadrafire 1000 but no pics

Attachments

• 1stfire.jpg
    1stfire.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 255
  • Little Whit.jpg
    Little Whit.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 228
  • Stove1.jpg
    Stove1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 241
Here is our corner before I got the bug up my butt.

You can see the items laid on the floor to get an idea about hearth size.

Lots of mock up was done.

Here is a piccy of the hearth coming along well, a foot print of the stove base cut from Scrap, and the location of the vent marked.
Mockup EVERYTHING, THINK MORE, CUT ONCE ;)

The raised hearth, rustic mantle and wall treatment made a world of difference to an otherwise blahhhh corner.

The brick look on the wall was all done with paint (Faux brick) and is very cheap to do.

Some blue masking tape, a base color for the grout lines and as many colors as you desire for the brick work.

Paint the wall with the base coat, let dry for a couple days.
Tape off the desired brick pattern, then using some pieces of natural sponge, dab in the colors to form the bricks.

Once these are dry, you can go back and smudge in with some lighter colors to give the bricks that aged look.

From any distance it looks very much like a brick wall.

The mantle was made from 2x8 Fir, route the edges and mount on the brackets.

The brackets were made from bent flat bar, then I used horse shoes from our own horses, selecting enough of the same size to do the job.

I cleaned them good then welded them to form the completed brackets.

IIRC this entire corner, ready to go including the stove cost under $600.

Stove (Whitfield Advantage 2T 1992 vintage/used)
Pipe and fittings (new 3 inch)
Wood to frame, sheet and build the hearth
Wood for the mantle
Steel for the brackets
Horse shoes (well used)
Tile for the hearth (Habitat for humanity/ small left over from a big job)
Paint, tape, screws and misc items

It's amazing what can be done with very little cash outlay.

I plan to do a Faux brick arch behind our little whitfield, as the plain white wall just SUX

Buttttttttttttttttttttttttt, at the time we installed the little Whit, extra heat was the plan, and looks later.

The stove came with the hearth pad for $200, so I can't whine too loud.

I need to repaint the top of the stove as the good loving it's had is showing a little.

Good does not mean expensive.

Here are a few other pix taken during construction.

A word of caution, before getting wild with any ideas, scan the walls where you want to do an install, and be sure there are no wires in there :eek:

A stud finder with an electrical scanner built in tells it all. Simply plug in something to any outlets on the wall and power it up, then scan the area you need to go through to see wassssssup.

When we decided to install the big Whit in the corner, the vent was going to intersect some 120V wiring straight on. OOOOOPS :eek:

The easiest and most pleasing to the eye was the raised hearth idea.

The 12" hearth height put the vent out of the way of the wiring in the wall.

It's a real PITA when you have the sheet rock hacked up and find wires that you can't move. :oops:

Always scan all studs before you drill or drive nails in to see if there are wire in there. Its hard to look cool when you all of a sudden have no lights. _g

Snowy

Attachments

• oldearth.jpg
    oldearth.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 248
  • mockup1.jpg
    mockup1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 263
  • Adv 2 1.jpg
    Adv 2 1.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 252
  • tile2.jpg
    tile2.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 235
  • tile1.jpg
    tile1.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 231
  • pipe1.jpg
    pipe1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
We have a few people, especially in towns, who are just using a panel of pool fencing glass as the hearth plate. Costs $50 and look real schmick under a modern style stove.
That glass trick is supposably popular in europe.Would not do much for me as stove is in dirt floor basement!

I just love these photos. Well done guys. I see some dogs so here pics of our Anotolian Shepherds to protect the chooks from foxes. No foxes come near bear in mind that the dogs are 3' high at the shoulder.View attachment 129931 View attachment 129932
My old fella looked just like one on right.He lived 16 years.No bears in yard when he was around!So good in house,also.

Reactions: Tony garofalo
I just love these photos. Well done guys. I see some dogs so here pics of our Anotolian Shepherds to protect the chooks from foxes. No foxes come near bear in mind that the dogs are 3' high at the shoulder.

My girl is tall for a German Shepherd 27" at the shoulder. Those Sheps are huge! Our dogs have been pretty good at keeping bear, gopher, fox away. The squirrels are a different story - they just sit up in the trees and drive the dog crazy!

The protocol for pups - they're supposed to be laying in front of the pellet stove ;lol In my house, she has to share with the cats for a spot...

Status
Not open for further replies.