pile of 6 x 6's and building wood storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DaveNEO2.5

Oct 17, 2016
Maryland
I came into a stack of 6 by 6's and I want to use them to build something to store my wood. My first thought was a wood shed using the longer ones as posts, but I have a tendency to over build and use several bags of concrete on each post for decks and such. Since I don't know how many years of cutting and burning I have left, I'm thinking about something more temporary. So racks of some sort seems like a better choice. I have a few of the ones with angled end pieces as 2 by 4s using landscape ties and concrete blocks.

Any suggestions or examples of something similar but making use of these 6 by 6s?

Thanks

I came into a stack of 6 by 6's and I want to use them to build something to store my wood. My first thought was a wood shed using the longer ones as posts, but I have a tendency to over build and use several bags of concrete on each post for decks and such. Since I don't know how many years of cutting and burning I have left, I'm thinking about something more temporary. So racks of some sort seems like a better choice. I have a few of the ones with angled end pieces as 2 by 4s using landscape ties and concrete blocks.

Any suggestions or examples of something similar but making use of these 6 by 6s?

Thanks
Welcome to this great forum! How many 6 x 6 are there? What I have done, and many others as I understand, is using the 6 x 6 as posts and horizontal foundation (on blocks or bricks) and nailed pallets as side and back panels. Pallets are almost always free to get. It worked great for me.

Welcome to this great forum! How many 6 x 6 are there? What I have done, and many others as I understand, is using the 6 x 6 as posts and horizontal foundation (on blocks or bricks) and nailed pallets as side and back panels. Pallets are almost always free to get. It worked great for me.

Are there any pictures available?

I have about 20 in lengths as long as 12'

Thanks
Welcome Dave.

Don't worry about how many years you have left of cutting and burning, overbuild your shed, as if it were the beginning of your wood burning endeavor. Be who you were meant to be. You won't regret it.

The last years are the most rewarding if we let them be, as we have the most knowledge and wisdom, and building and having a substantial woodshed would be fantastic.

It's all about the journey, my friend, don't quit before you get to the end of it.