Pine burners, whaddya think?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pulldownclaw

Feeling the Heat
Mar 2, 2007
Richmond, Va
So, my next door neighbors have a bunch of pine trees that the power company cut down and stacked a few years ago (thanks to the beetles). They're in stove length rounds. So, I'm sure the rounds on the bottom are pretty punky, but I'm wondering how the ones on top might be for splitting and burning next year. Will the moisture just travel up through from the bottom rounds to the top? And, FYI, this is Southern yellow pine, not the nicer stuff you guys have out West. But I've got plenty of oak to make up for it. :cheese:

I live in a very dry climate. I have pine that I have had for about 4 years and it is still great. I have the kids split it into small splits - 2" or less - and use it to get fires going in the morning. It is great because it catches so much more quickly than the hardwoods I burn.

I would check the wood out, especially if it is for free.

It also is great for burning during the shoulder seasons. Quick and hot fires to take the morning and evening chill off when a full days fire would be too much.

split it and burn it. you will be amazed at how easy it splits if it does not have alot of knots.

My neighbor has a huge pile of money I can have, but it's all nickels. Should I take it?

The question is not whether or not I should take or even *gasp* burn pine, I burn alot of pine. I was wondering how much of it would be rotten without being covered for several years, this is a very humid climate here. I guess I was specifically thinking of what BB said one time, something like pine soaking water up like a sponge. Anyhoo, I'll head over there today and take a looksie...

When I lived in Fairfax, I couldn't leave any wood out anywhere without getting it well clear of the soil and expect it to age gracefully. Anything in ground contact would begin to rot in short order. No way to say just what shape it might be in without seeing and touching it. I'd imagine that there's a good chance most of it's perfectly suitable for burning. Rick

pulldownclaw said:
The question is not whether or not I should take or even *gasp* burn pine, I burn alot of pine. I was wondering how much of it would be rotten without being covered for several years, this is a very humid climate here.

My quote sounds more flippant than I intended now that I read it again. I was thinking that the work of sorting the bad from good would be worth it. I'm guessing that the bottom stuff will be shot, and that some of the rest will be punky/too light, but that most of it will be ok, if a little quick to burn. I got about 1/4 cord of similar stuff, and found that it dried out quickly, but was lighter than usual. It's pretty rainy here year round, so similar moisture

Depending on how long it has sat, you might even split the rounds that are in ground contact and save the top halfs.
I have whole pine logs out in the woods abandoned years ago. Probably could still get some firewood out of them if I had nothing to do. Except, during the Summer, if you get real close, they sound like a bowl of fresh drowned rice krispies.
crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch ....

pulldownclaw said:
So, my next door neighbors have a bunch of pine trees that the power company cut down and stacked a few years ago (thanks to the beetles). They're in stove length rounds. So, I'm sure the rounds on the bottom are pretty punky, but I'm wondering how the ones on top might be for splitting and burning next year. Will the moisture just travel up through from the bottom rounds to the top? And, FYI, this is Southern yellow pine, not the nicer stuff you guys have out West. But I've got plenty of oak to make up for it. :cheese:

There is only one way to find out.

No sweat madrone, obviously I will be able to tell after heading over there and taking a look. I imagine it will be well worth it, especially being right next door. I'm almost wondering if some of it would be suitable for the end of this season, but I'm hesitant after reading the endless posts about wood not really drying until it's split...not that I disagree with it.

wood in rounds will still season just not as fast. even if the stuff from the bottom ks punky, let it season for a while and it will still burn (albeit fast and hot).

Status
Not open for further replies.