Pine for hottest fires?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
Just wondering on the thoughts of using pine for those of us with undersized stoves trying to crank out the BTUs. Seems that although pine has fewer BTUs than the hardwoods, it:
1. Heats up quicker
2. Gets hot
3. Has a shorter coaling phase/fewer coals/ash

So you'd have to reload more often, but could maybe run a more consistently hot fire...
I've noticed that my oak loads take quite a bit longer to get up to full operating temp, and the cruising temp is (maybe?) lower than the pine?

Definitely give it a try. I really like burning it as I have a pile on my property. I see you list a Century stove. I burned a pile in my little Century when I was using that stove. I would start with small loads or mix it as pine can really get going! My S244 Cen. did not have tight enough air intake control to pack it with pine. I had to give it the tinfoil treatment to keep it whoa'd down! My BK treats it as any other wood. Easily controlled. It leaves less ash than any of my other wood. I get nice burn times with it. Just not record setting. Enjoy.

Last edited:
I've got a lot of pine around my property and use it just as much as any other wood. When it's 12 degrees out I don't mind if it heats up quick and hot