Pine Needles as pellets, or other fuel?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orangecrushcj7

Feeling the Heat
Jun 30, 2008
Barre MA
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with making pine needle pellets. I have boatloads of dead, dry, White Pine pine needles every fall. I know there are make your own pellet mills out there, however, I don't want to perform a $2000 experiment. I think they would probably burn just as well as softwood pellets.

I wonder what would happen if I somehow made them small enough to pass thru the auger, if I could add some in with regular factory made pellets? I usually mow them up, that might chop them up good. Or use an old food processer?

dude..let me know how that works out. I got a boatload of pine needles in my yard as well!

orangecrushcj7 said:
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with making pine needle pellets. I have boatloads of dead, dry, White Pine pine needles every fall. I know there are make your own pellet mills out there, however, I don't want to perform a $2000 experiment. I think they would probably burn just as well as softwood pellets.

I wonder what would happen if I somehow made them small enough to pass thru the auger, if I could add some in with regular factory made pellets? I usually mow them up, that might chop them up good. Or use an old food processer?

i WOULD SUGGEST RE-THINKING THE IDEA OF THROWING THEM IN WITH YOUR PELLETS, BUT IF YA DO IT, LET US KNOW HOW IT WORKS. PICS, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oops, sorry for caps

Matt - let me know on here, or PM when you try out your leaf briquettes. I would be interested in hearing how the work. I may be interested in making pine needle briquettes, if you have success.

Status
Not open for further replies.