Pipe damper w/ Progress Hybrid?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since nobody has responded, I'll bump this up with a few questions.

Are you experiencing shorter than expected burn times? Stove running too hot without being able to keep the temp down with the primary air control? Do you have a very tall chimney?

put one in a month or so ago.First season with it as I had a Keystone before.
Have a very tall chimney ...like 25feet
I get long burn times and basically get it all fired up and shut down damper and gage cat and it burns long and slow.
Overnite burns of 10 hours and still big bed of coals and around 250 in am
Don't really close damper up a lot as of yet but engage slightly with big loads

put one in a month or so ago.First season with it as I had a Keystone before.
Have a very tall chimney ...like 25feet
I get long burn times and basically get it all fired up and shut down damper and gage cat and it burns long and slow.
Overnite burns of 10 hours and still big bed of coals and around 250 in am
Don't really close damper up a lot as of yet but engage slightly with big loads

Thanks penn and kayakkeith. Yes I have a tall chimney about 20 feet, insulated double wall 6 inch stove pipe, off the top of the stove. Straight shot.. The main problem is I don't get much control with my stove damper. If I shut it all the way down to below a quarter open I still have super strong draft that's almost as strong as if The damper was full open. I'm thinking the stovepipe damper will help me with this.

Thanks penn and kayakkeith. Yes I have a tall chimney about 20 feet, insulated double wall 6 inch stove pipe, off the top of the stove. Straight shot.. The main problem is I don't get much control with my stove damper. If I shut it all the way down to below a quarter open I still have super strong draft that's almost as strong as if The damper was full open. I'm thinking the stovepipe damper will help me with this.

That's pretty normal for a lot of stoves. The main thing is if you can control your burn with that last 1/4 of the air adjustment, that I'd not install. Not having one makes cleanings easier. Also, by using it, and reducing draft, you'll be shifting the balance of how air comes to the fire (from secondary back to primary if you are going to end up leaving the air open more to compensate) and you may end up not getting as efficient a burn and/or making that cat take on more than it was meant too.

In all though, I do have a damper on my stove. It mainly gets used as an emergency brake in the event of an oops moment. I tried experimenting last year using it and leaving the primary air open a bit more. I was really liking doing it, in that my glass had less white haze on it, and the fire seemed more controllable. However, I must have lost efficiency as a cleaning showed my cap was the dirtiest I had seen it in years of running the stove. I was surprised and disappointed, and don't use it regularly now.

Status
Not open for further replies.