Pipe damper with chimney liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
Quadrafire Yosemite used as a top vent hearth stove

ce012f9be173b47275e0f8b7c2706e51.jpg

25’ SS liner, insulated.

The draft on this thing is insane. I went as far as to replace every single gasket I could find, and dollar bill tested everything.

If I don’t turn the air down immediately on a full load, it runs away. Once the secondaries are firing it’s basically a blow torch. My other quad had nice secondaries, that seemed controllable. This one looks like an out of control weed burner.

Mind you, my wood is NOT properly seasoned this year. I’m a little worried about what next year will look like with dry wood.

Has anyone found a pipe damper solution for an install like this?

Dustin

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump

27' of insulated rigid here, and while I have a strong draft, never felt the need for a damper. Without knowing temps, most would be pleased with the performance you're getting.

A damper will be a PITA, but prolly could be done with some sort of rod to open & close the damper.
Have you tried loading larger pcs of wood?

If the draft is insane and you cannot control the stove (stove temps +700f with the air control turned as low as it can go) it might be easier to buy some industrial magnets (found in farm supply shops) to close off some of the primary and secondary air intakes, a baffle in the pipe seems like a lot of work.

I wonder if switching to rear exit if possible and pulling the stove out a little bit would help at all.
Nice alternative thinking. That should help reduce draft a bit. The hearth may need an extension, but this would be an opportunity to put in a cleanout tee also.

Other things to check - look for leakage around the ash pan door. Sometimes ash can build up behind the pan causing it to move forward a little bit. This can prevent the ashpan door from closing tightly. Also, check the startup air control and make sure it is closing all the way when pulled out. In addition to trying larger pieces of wood, try closing down the primary air more aggressively. Do it a soon as the wood is burning well. Turn it down until the flames get lazy and visibly slow down. Then let the fire regain strength. Then turn it down again till the flames get lazy. Repeat if necessary.

Last edited:
Never thought of switching to a rear vent, that could happen with a little work.

A search of the forums shows a similar complaint from most owners of this stove. May try using some magnets over the primary air to slow things down a bit.

Tell me more about these industrial magnets. I've been trying metal tape to block off what may or may not (lol) be vents on mine.