Pipe Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Draughts15

Dec 23, 2020
Upper Midwest
Hello,

Had a recent install a few months ago. Does the pipe look like it was installed correctly? From what I've now gathered looks like the pipe should overlap as you go up through the roof so creosote will drip back down towards the stove. This is 6 inch double wall pipe. Picture attached.

Screenshot_20220418-104404_Gallery.jpg 20220113_143743.jpg

It's probably ok. The double-wall interior liner should be crimp downward, but the outer jacket can look like that. What brand of stovepipe is this?

The part numbers on my invoice say 6DCC-, which looks like it's a Selkirk parts number. I just looked at the stamp on the back of the pipe yesterday so ill have to double check when I get home.

Yes, 6DCC sounds like Selkirk's new double-wall stovepipe.

Reactions: Draughts15
Reminds me of ol Roospike with his whorehouse read Summit Classic

Reactions: begreen
Reminds me of ol Roospike with his whorehouse read Summit Classic
I'll take a look. Kind of funny, I originally bought a Super 27 from an older gal who suffered from arthritis and couldn't do the wood burning anymore. It was barely used and had an install date for it from one of the local retailers in my area. Last second decided to go with a new red unit, thought it would fit the space a little better rather than a flat black stove. The stove in person actually looks a dark maroon. We thought they brought the wrong colored stove and liked it better. In the pictures it shows up as a bright red.

You do end up with the jog in the pipe to fit between the rafters and create the required stove clearance. Did the stove installer tell you that it was going to be done that way? You could have had a straight chimney. Easier cleaning and I think a cleaner look.

I'll take a look. Kind of funny, I originally bought a Super 27 from an older gal who suffered from arthritis and couldn't do the wood burning anymore. It was barely used and had an install date for it from one of the local retailers in my area. Last second decided to go with a new red unit, thought it would fit the space a little better rather than a flat black stove. The stove in person actually looks a dark maroon. We thought they brought the wrong colored stove and liked it better. In the pictures it shows up as a bright red.
Roospike was one of the original members of Hearth.com back in 2005. He had one of the first Summits here many years back. It got the affectionate term of whorehouse red coined by BrotherBart. I think most of us were a bit envious of his classy stove and eventually inspired to get one and try it out.
First reports on his new stove

You do end up with the jog in the pipe to fit between the rafters and create the required stove clearance. Did the stove installer tell you that it was going to be done that way? You could have had a straight chimney. Easier cleaning and I think a cleaner look.
The installer told me the rafter/joist was in the way and couldn't do it straight up. I agree, I'd rather have it straight.

The installer told me the rafter/joist was in the way and couldn't do it straight up. I agree, I'd rather have it straight.
Our stove replaced the Castine which had determined the ceiling box location. The T6's flue outlet is more forward so I had to put in an offset also. We tried it both ways and decided it was less aparent, low at the stove. Draft has not been an issue with the 20' flue system and an easy breathing stove.

T6_web.jpg

Reactions: Draughts15