Pipe size?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Deiswerth

Nov 27, 2021
Pa
Questioning what size pipe I should have from the back of my wood stove to the chimney. The back of my stove is 7". I put a stainless steel liner in my chimney, 6". What size should I use going to the liner? Neck it down at the stove to 6" or run 7" to where it goes through the wall and my 6" liner begins? Coming from the stove it consists of 2 90° and about 36" of pipe. Thank you!

The two 90º turns are adding restriction. Would it be possible to reduce this, maybe by using 45s? What stove is this for?

Questioning what size pipe I should have from the back of my wood stove to the chimney. The back of my stove is 7". I put a stainless steel liner in my chimney, 6". What size should I use going to the liner? Neck it down at the stove to 6" or run 7" to where it goes through the wall and my 6" liner begins? Coming from the stove it consists of 2 90° and about 36" of pipe. Thank you!
Well the liner should have been 7" to match the stove. But at this point it really doesn't matter where you reduce it.

7" wouldn't fit down the existing flue
Then the clay tiles needed removed. How did you fit insulation with the old liners in place?

Didn't know it needed insulation...
Does your chimney have the required clearance from the outside of the masonry structure to combustible materials?

Does your chimney have the required clearance from the outside of the masonry structure to combustible materials?
Not exactly sure what you mean by this??? It's and exterior block chimney, with terracotta liner, stainless steel liner...how much more do I need to be away from combustible materials???

Not exactly sure what you mean by this??? It's and exterior block chimney, with terracotta liner, stainless steel liner...how much more do I need to be away from combustible materials???
1" between the outside of the block and combustible materials.

If the chimney was internal it would need 2"

I mentioned it was outside....external....was just a question about pipe size...
And I gave you an answer on the pipe size along with other pertinent information.

Looks like you ran into a chimney condescension problem.
Best of luck.
Hang in there.

Last edited:
Looks like you ran into a chimney condescension problem.
Best of luck.
Hang in there.
I was simply trying to tell him the proper way it should be done. And trying to make sure the setup is safe. No condescension.

Harmon stove. Don't know if I have enough room to get 4 45° in...
Which Harman model? All those that I have records for are 6", but I don't have every manual. Can you post a picture of the installation location and a sketch of the proposed stovepipe layout. Usually there is a way to eliminate at least one 90º elbow.

Which Harman model? All those that I have records for are 6", but I don't have every manual. Can you post a picture of the installation location and a sketch of the proposed stovepipe layout. Usually there is a way to eliminate at least one 90º elbow.
Some of their wood/coal stoves were 7" I think the mark III