pipe temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

48hf74

Jan 3, 2010
Idaho
combustion is supposed to take place at 450 F but thats general. Say you read 200 degrees on some wood framing holding your wall thimble...would that concern you???
what temp would you say is too high on that surface.??

UL says that 90 degrees more than ambient (the air temp in the room) is too high. I say if wood in my house gets to 200 degrees I am gonna change something. Fast.

if you can't hold your hand on it without burning your hand, then it's to hot.

you might want to read a bit about Pyrolysis of wood & the danger involved . Continual exposure of wood to heat can actually reduce the ignition temperature of that wood over time .

48hf74 said:
combustion is supposed to take place at 450 F but thats general. Say you read 200 degrees on some wood framing holding your wall thimble...would that concern you???
what temp would you say is too high on that surface.??

Post a picture of the setup. We may be able to spot what the problem is.

Status
Not open for further replies.