Planned basement install, constructive criticism welcomed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FineAlly

Nov 4, 2019
Gull Lake, Alberta
Good morning! Been lurking here for a while but just joined to post my plans and see what folks' think.

Location -- Northeast Gull Lake, Central Alberta
Climate -- below zero C for 7-8 months of the year, often long cold stretches during the winter months
House -- Built in 1955 but renovated in approx 2000 and moved 250km North and put on new foundation approx 2016. 900 sq feet finished basement and 900 sq feet upstairs. Not a lot of floor space in the upstairs living room and the basement is often cool but a very consistent 18c. There is a great open spot in the basement to locate woodstove, planning to vent upwards and not sideways out the wall to ensure I get a good draft and also all but top foot or so of the basement is below grade. There are two windows on the wall where the stove will be located. I plan to turn one of them into a top load wood box that I can fill from outside and access inside. There is a forced-air furnace in the electrical room on the other side of the basement with its own 6" air intake. Vents are located all over the basement ceiling and we found in the summer turning on the furnace fan brings cold air upstairs very efficiently. Also not opposed to adding a grate to the living room floor above the stove.
Stove - Drolet Classic paid for and waited to be picked up at local Cdn Tire. Purchased in October to get $100 rebate from Drolet and will hit up Cdn Tire for a partial refund when it goes on sale later this week.
Chimney - Planning to come up and use a couple of 45 to bring pipe in closer to the wall before heading thru floor into main level. Then A-vent to the roof, through small corner of attic and chimney up top. It is a hip roof so I can't go straight thru the corner will need to be slightly offset. Then I plan to frame in and hide pipe in corner of the upstairs living room. My pops has a buddy that has been in the furnace biz for a few decades and said he can get us all our woodstove piping at dealer cost, still need to determine exactly what brands he has access to and figure out all the parts we require.
Inspection / Insurance - have already touched base with local WETT inspector and he said to follow all clearance and installation instructions and we should be golden when he comes out to sign off. Insurance company says no increase with WETT certificate as it is not a full time source of heat.
Wood source - backyard and surrounding area is primarily poplar and a lot of it. I understand the importance of burning seasoned wood in the stove.

Does anybody see any issues with my equation? Thanks for reading!

IMG_20191104_192551.jpg

IMG_20191104_212838.jpg

It sounds pretty well thought out to me. I don't see any issues