Planning a Woodshed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jason A

Jun 27, 2018
Temple, New Hampshire
Hey All,

I'm in the planning stages of building my first truly dedicated woodshed. If anybody has any design ideas, plans, advice, regrets, etc. I'd love to hear or see them.

I burn up to 4 cords per year so my thought is I'd like to have plenty of space for multiple years worth of wood.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I bought a free standing car port for my firewood, beats the hell out of tarps and pallets.

What kind of budget and landscaping do you have? No budget then build a metal shop building.... On a tighter budget but want good coverage then build a normal shed minus solid walls.

I am restricted by my wife on what I can build and where. Generally if it doesn't look nice and clean she won't allow it. Right now I just have the wood stacked off the ground in the trees uncovered....

Set up the open front part of the shed facing the summers prevailing winds in your ares. Dont stack more than 3 rows deep so the air will flow through the stack and make sure the air can vent through the back and sides. Have a large roof overhang on the sides and front. Keep the shed up off the ground and allow the bottom to have air circulation

Reactions: Jason A
I bought a free standing car port for my firewood, beats the hell out of tarps and pallets.

what size and whats the cost for one of those, the thought crossed my mind of getting one too.

what size and whats the cost for one of those, the thought crossed my mind of getting one too.

It's been about 5 years now, but the cost then was around 1100, I think it's 12 x 20 and holds a ton of wood. I stack over 4 feet high and suspect it holds about 6-7 full chords.

eh71fpom.jpg

I built my woodshed 3 years ago. It is 8 x 12. You would be astonished at how much wood it holds.
Still, I would have built it bigger but my house is on a mountaintop and as you can see I had to squeeze it in between the driveway and the edge of the hill.

If you have more room, go up to 12 x 16 that would hold enough wood for you.
My wood shed goes against the prevailing wisdom of this site, my woodshed has no ventilation. I just loaded it up with cherry and red oak, and I keep the door shut. Massive roof overhangs keep the rain off the woodshed. It gets sunshine all day. As in any good structure, on the low side it is 16 inches off the ground.
Bare wood walls and wood floor.

I am getting hickory to 17 percent in 8 months. My little shed heats up, and water vapor passes through the bare wood walls and floor.

Reactions: Jason A
View attachment 242329

I built my woodshed 3 years ago. It is 8 x 12. You would be astonished at how much wood it holds.
Still, I would have built it bigger but my house is on a mountaintop and as you can see I had to squeeze it in between the driveway and the edge of the hill.

If you have more room, go up to 12 x 16 that would hold enough wood for you.
My wood shed goes against the prevailing wisdom of this site, my woodshed has no ventilation. I just loaded it up with cherry and red oak, and I keep the door shut. Massive roof overhangs keep the rain off the woodshed. It gets sunshine all day. As in any good structure, on the low side it is 16 inches off the ground.
Bare wood walls and wood floor.

I am getting hickory to 17 percent in 8 months. My little shed heats up, and water vapor passes through the bare wood walls and floor.
I think you have a "kiln" effect going on with your shed, not sure if I could replicate it, would have to do it exactly the way you did.
I was thinking of getting the small carport, I'll have to shop around locally and see what they go for.

My wife would never allow that at our house, and to be honest, its not very visually appealing to me either lol.

Like snaple4, my shed had to look nice enough for my wife to approve. It only ended up costing me less the $500 with the biggest cost being the steal roofing. Its 30'x10' with 3 bays. 2 are for wood and I left the other open for storage. Covered 2 sides of that 3rd bay with rough cut poplar and its on the back end from the prevailing wind. Just pallets on the ground to stack on and the ground slopes too. Made my own concrete piers to set posts on. Saved a little money by using 5" fence posts for rather then treated lumber. Stained it all the same as my deck and steel roof matches the house so the wife approves. I have a thread on here about part of the process but have not posted a completed photo.

It is easy to duplicate my woodshed. Walls and floor must be entirely unpainted wood, floor needs to be 16 inches off the ground.
Big roof overhangs and lots of sunshine. Easy.