Planning reno with fireplace replacement.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stuartm

Jan 22, 2017
NB Canada
Hi everyone, i have a on older heatilator fireplace from the early 90's installed in my home, i have suffered through it for two years now but its really more ornamental than anything. I took the front off and installed a fan in the air intake inside which has helped a bit 90+ % of the heat still goes up and out.

Im planning the renovation of my living room around the replacement of the unit. Currently the fireplace resides in a wall that closes off the living room, the living room having three exterior walls and an un heated room underneath is cold all the time.

My first idea is to rip out the fireplace wall and box in the bay window at the end putting two more windows to the left and right of the bay. This reno will also replace all existing windows in the room as the seals are gone in just about all of them.

Second idea is again to rip out the fireplace but insted install a wood stove in the location where the fireplace was in the opened up space between the two rooms. this would be a little less reno as i wouldn't have to re construct the front of the house. in this case i like the quadrafire discovery III

looking for suggestions on units for the replacement or anything else that might help. I have been leaning towards the pacific energy neo series as a replacement as they are rated high but we have no local dealer for me to see one.
Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 10.01.42 AM.png 20170121_101900.jpg 20170121_101905.jpg 20170121_101911.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't help you much on the location -- more a personal choice & how much you want to spend I think.

I like both those series of stoves -- & both good stoves. Not so much the contemporary look, but I really like the idea of the firebox being up a little higher -- not so much bending over &/or kneeling in order to tend the fire!

Good Luck. You will never regret replacing that old unit.

Here is my vote... go for the wood stove. And do the windows. As for the wood stove thats up to you there are many good stoves, but only some of will fit your needs, life style, and personal taste.. i liked the blaze king. .but wound up with something else as the dealer was not going to carry and supply for them any more, so i passed on it.. my advice is purchase from a dealer you trust, dont go cheap as you get what you pay for, buy something beautiful, as this adds to your home decore and it become a focal point of the room and home.. open up the area if you can so the heat moves around readily. .i put in a air system that moves the heat through the house and now all of the rooms feel the same.. hope this helps

Welcome. Both ideas have merit. I lean toward the more centrally located freestander, but need to know more about the house. Are you thinking of a modern EPA ZC fireplace in replacement if located where the bay window is or a freestanding stove in an alcove?

How many sq ft in the house and on this floor. How open or closed off is the rest of the 1 floor plan? What's the budget? Will this be installed by a pro or DIY?

For a contemporary look you might also be interested in the Osburn Matrix
https://www.osburn-mfg.com/en/products/wood-stoves/matrix-wood-stove/#fiche-technique
In a cat stove perhaps the Chinook 30.1
http://www.blazeking.com/EN/wood-chinook30.html