pleasant hearth air adjustment...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Maseyferguson05

Feb 27, 2019
Mass
Hello, my friend has a pleasant hearth 50,000 btu that seems to be very smokey. I was wondering if there was a way to increase the combustion air... Is it the little blue control knob? If so what does that do... is there a way to increase the exhuast fan or open a gate to allow more air to come in? He also struggles with clinkers and is running the west coast douglas fir pellets. The smoke is black and stinks. He also does not have an OAK installed.

I run the cheapo pellets in my castle serenity with the exhuast blower up an a OAK and have the air gate opened up the pot stays very clean and no smoke at all.

You may need to adjust the combustion air to the fire for: Elevation. Venting/Installation Configurations Fuel Quality If your fire is too large, lazy, or producing black soot, you need MORE air. To increase the amount of combus- tion air, rotate counterclockwise one level at a time and allow 15 minutes for stabilization prior to making another adjustment. If your fire is too small and sometimes goes out when there are pellets in the hopper, you may have too much air (too lean). To decrease the amount of combustion air, rotate clockwise one level at a time and allow 15 minutes for stabilization prior to making another adjustment.