Please check my plan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattym

Hearth Supporter
Dec 18, 2007
Adirondacks, NY
We've been wanting to install a stove in our interior wall, masonry fireplace. We are planning to put a Hearthstone Castleton, half in, half out of the fireplace opening. We don't want an insert, and we can't come too far into the room. The fireplace opening is 40"w and 29" t. The Castleton is 26" t, 27.5" to the collar. Seems like a good fit, there's an additional 12" height inside the lintel to reach into for connections.
The Castleton requires 24" to top trim and mantle. I have that to the 8" mantle, but only 12" to the 3/4" wood trim surround. Question 1: Is it legal and safe to use a lintel-mounted heat shield to protect this?
All side clearances are good, hearth floor will be deep enough.
New ss liner going in, 30 ft straight shot to stove top. Question 2: Can the Castleton be swept from the stove? I can't find in the manual how the tubes and baffle come out. It was pretty simple on our Clydesdale.
Waiting on answers from our csia installer, but I respect the opinions here, I've learned a lot about burning from you all.

A shield attached to the lintel would work. Another option would be to attach a shallow shield on 1" spacers to the bottom edge of the trim.

Hearthstone baffles are not removable on most stoves. Is your roof particularly difficult to access the chimney? I really like to be able to at least inspect the cap for clogging on every job I do.

Reactions: Squisher
Unfortunately, yes, the chimney top is about 15 feet above an 8:12 roof. We're renting a lift for the install, but don't want to need it to clean every time. Seems like every trip up there wears a year off the shingle life, gutters full of pebbles... Really don't want to disconnect the stove very time to clean, with either.
Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, yes, the chimney top is about 15 feet above an 8:12 roof. We're renting a lift for the install, but don't want to need it to clean every time. Seems like every trip up there wears a year off the shingle life, gutters full of pebbles... Really don't want to disconnect the stove very time to clean, with either.
Thanks for the info.
Make sure your cap does not have a screen and you should be fine. I'd rather disconnect the stove pipe each year than scale the roof in this instance. I can look at a castleton tomorrow and see if the baffle is removable.

Reactions: Squisher
If you clean from the bottom and don't want to/can't access the roof. Good practice is to use binoculars to inspect the cap. These should also be used to visually verify that your cleaning brush/whip has made it all the way to the top. As in, when you think it's at the cap go outside and visually confirm it is. IMO, this is second best to actually being up there and checking things out/brushing off the cap. But it's better than nothing, or just assuming that you're through to the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.