Please Ease My Mind - Is This Install Correct?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jwoair23

Feeling the Heat
Oct 2, 2011
Ohio
Hi All,

Today I went up in to the attic to take a picture of my stove install. Been running it for a little less than a year and no reason to be concerned other than the company has made a few dumb mistakes I've already caught on the install. As an example, they used a gas vent cap which then clogged. I had them replace with an appropriate wood burning cap.

The install has a box that runs from the cathedral ceiling inside up into the attic. Double wall pipe is used inside, I am not certain on what type of pipe the shiny metal through the attic up past the roof is.

Can you tell me if everything looks correct here, anything I need to address?

IMG_0274.jpeg IMG_1935.jpeg IMG_1934.jpeg

There does not appear to be 2" clearance from the chimney pipe going through the roof, but maybe that is just the camera angle. I'd like to see a lid on the support box to prevent any debris from getting in there in the future.

I second what begreen said

And the shiny metal pipe in the attic is indeed as it's supposed to be (class A after going thru a ceiling).

Reactions: Shrewboy
There does not appear to be 2" clearance from the chimney pipe going through the roof, but maybe that is just the camera angle. I'd like to see a lid on the support box to prevent any debris from getting in there in the future.

Thank you for this - I have contacted the installer to see how we should proceed. I am debating if I want to try and cut away the plywood myself, or have them come back and do so. I believe there is 2" from the rafters from the picture, but there is definitely not 2" from the plywood.

How would you all suggest correcting? Would you just cut away the plywood?

Also - am I correct that there doesnt need 2" of clearance from the shingles? I am not sure how close those are.

The installer should pull the flashing on the roof and cut the hole larger with a Sawzall or jigsaw. They may be able to cut from the inside, but risk cutting the flashing. The flashing will have a rise that'll keep the shingles far enough away.

2" clearance from any combustibles including the shingles is required for almost all chimney pipe.

Thank you for this - I have contacted the installer to see how we should proceed. I am debating if I want to try and cut away the plywood myself, or have them come back and do so. I believe there is 2" from the rafters from the picture, but there is definitely not 2" from the plywood.

How would you all suggest correcting? Would you just cut away the plywood?

Also - am I correct that there doesnt need 2" of clearance from the shingles? I am not sure how close those are.
Yes just cut the plywood away. And yes the shingles need to be 2" away as well. They are very flammable

Yes just cut the plywood away. And yes the shingles need to be 2" away as well. They are very flammable
Thank you, I am glad I am learning about this on here. I am thinking/hoping then that the plywood could be carefully cut, and then the shingles as well if needed to get the clearances. I am hoping that could be done without damaging the flashing?

The installer has just replied and said they will fix, I am hoping they can do so without too much trouble.

Reactions: Mt Bob
If the flashing is damaged, it should be replaced. They should bring another one along just in case.

Be sure they vacuum out any and all debris that falls into the support box. That needs to stay clean and clear.

Be sure they vacuum out any and all debris that falls into the support box. That needs to stay clean and clear.
Good call out, I plan to oversee the work when they come and will make sure of this. Appreciate all the advice!

JWOair23,
Just curious who did your installation (send me a PM if you're not comfortable posting that info). We are also in Ohio and have a new Heritage that was installed this year by our local woodstove dealer; I trust they did a good install. I really don't want to crawl up in our attic to inspect their installation, but maybe I should. And other than a plugged cap, how did you know that they installed the wrong cap?

Not to hijack your thread jwoair, but your post prompted me to just go ahead and check the installation in the attic. Same thing here. No cover on the support box

install support box.jpg

whatyousmokin - I sent you a PM with the company I used

Update - So bad news unfortunately. The tech cut away what he could, but could only get about an inch away from the pipe before he ran out of space in the boot. Apparently the boot they used is also too small. He says that the tech that originally installed it has a habit of making mistakes he has to fix. :(

They are going to come back out and do the following:
  • Remove and replace the boot with a larger opening one.
  • Cut away the roof to allow for the 2" of clearance to the pipe.
  • Install collar bands on the pipe sections in the attic as he noticed there were not any.
  • Install an additional three feet of pipe onto the stack as he noticed there was not enough pipe that the original tech installed.
  • Install a brace on the piping as there will now be around 7' of piping on the roof.
On the one hand, I am really frustrated that they basically have had to redo the entire install. On the other hand, its been a learning experience and I am incredibly grateful I took the time to investigate and make sure it is installed correctly. I plan to live here the rest of my life, and I do not want decades of burning to create an unsafe situation.

Very grateful to this site for the continued expertise.

The company is doing right by you, after having an employee mess up at first.

Note that your draft will increase with the added height.

The company is doing right by you, after having an employee mess up at first.

Note that your draft will increase with the added height.
I agree, and am happy with that. I am curious/anxious what that will mean for the operation of my stove with the added draft. Only time will tell I suppose.

You'll likely have to decrease the air a bit sooner after a reload.

I’m blown away the company came back and is making it right. Makes you wonder, does original tech still work for that company. Sending a guy back to redo the majority of the job? Unless they are sooo busy they take a hit. Regardless, glad to hear they acknowledge and are rectifying. Consider that a WIN!

(Not meaning to hijack your thread joair23). I called the woodstove dealer that installed my stove. According to them and in their reference to fire codes, I do not need any cover over the support box . The sides are tall enough.

install support box.jpg

Yes. But "enough" is the letter of the law. A cover is inherently safer as nothing (ever) will get in.

(Not meaning to hijack your thread joair23). I called the woodstove dealer that installed my stove. According to them and in their reference to fire codes, I do not need any cover over the support box . The sides are tall enough.

View attachment 288707
Fire code has nothing to do with it. It comes down to manufacturers instructions

Reactions: clancey
Last edited:
Update:

Today the company came back out and did the modifications. They installed three additional feet of pipe above the roof, installed roof supports, a bigger roof boot, and cut away the roof to have 2" all the way around the pipe. I inspected everything and I believe everything now looks good, but would greatly appreciate any input from the forum members. Do I now have a safe setup?

I did check the box to ensure there is no debris in it, he had cleaned it, and I cleaned it slightly more in the corners. The box is completely clean, there is a very tiny amount of sawdust deep in the crack of the box around the pipe that I can't get too, but I think its minimal enough and deep/surrounded by metal where it should be OK. Eventually I put a lid on the box like was mentioned.

What are your thoughts?

IMG_1962.jpeg IMG_1965.jpeg IMG_1967.jpeg