Please explain this BK Princess issue to me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Insert users can't pop the pipe off to clean chimney sweepings from that ledge behind the cat, inspect their bypass gasket/door, etc.
Since the flue collar is low and at 30 degrees I don’t ever find much of anything behind the cat on a PI. Freestanding, I see some build up back there though.

Reactions: Highbeam
Something has definitely changed after the cleaning. I think the cat might actually be working right now and before it wasn’t.

I had the thermostat turned down farther then normal last night and this morning the house is so hot I have to open windows and we have gotten an easy 14 hours and probably closer 16 by the time this load of wood is done

Last edited:
Reactions: velvetfoot
Something has definitely changed after the cleaning. I think the cat might actually be working right now and before it wasn’t.

I had the thermostat turned down farther then normal last night and this morning the house is so hot I have to open windows and we have gotten an easy 14 hours and probably closer 16 by the time this load of wood is done

Well yes, it should easily run 20 hours at even a moderate output with our northwest woods. Keep turning it down until you either aren't too hot or stall the cat.

I’m trying to update this since a lot of times folks ask questions and then they don’t really update if the fixes worked.

Before the stove was cleaned I would go through a wheel barrel of firewood in about 2 days.

I am starting day 4 of this wheel barrel load of wood. I figure my wood usage is just under half of what it was.

I think that cleaning the stove and chimney was not so much the fix but I do think it helped.

I am pretty sure the Cat was very very dirty judging by how many gallons came out of the chimney.

Combined the Cat being dirty with the fact the I don’t think the bypass door was closing all the way. It feels a lot different now that everything cleaned. It actually feels like it is locking into place for the lack of a better term.

I do think that replacing the Cat and gasket will also help burn times even more but unless I run into another problem I think that will be replaced after winter.

We like the updates. Glad to hear that it’s working better.