Please explain this BK Princess issue to me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Doc C

Minister of Fire
Jul 26, 2017
Bonner County Idaho
I posted awhile back about my burn time with my Princess.

When we bought the house a couple of months we were provided paperwork showing the stove and pipe was just cleaned. I’m starting to think it wasn’t. I started getting smoke backing up into the house yesterday so I had a sweep come out to go over everything and clean while he was here.

There had to of been 3 gallons of soot come out of my pipe. It was filthy.

But here’s the kicker....I noticed when I close the bypass now it is a lot smoother and sets I to place a lot better.

I am thinking maybe there was something preventing the bypass from closing all the way??

Is this possible?

Also my wood is good and dry...several pieces tested with moisture meter and also split several pieces and tested the inside and they are good.

The stoves breathing better and performing like it should. No idea on the bypass how that could be affected.

Last edited:
Depending on how he swept it, the powdered carbon might have ended up on the bypass linkage and be providing lubrication. Hopefully he cleaned out the cat chamber.

Or, he’s a good sweep and adjusted your bypass while he was in there.

Depending on how he swept it, the powdered carbon might have ended up on the bypass linkage and be providing lubrication. Hopefully he cleaned out the cat chamber.

Or, he’s a good sweep and adjusted your bypass while he was in there.

He pulled the car out and cleaned the cat and everything else.

He did not adjust anything.

I put 3 smaller pieces in and left the house. About 5 hours later they are still burning.
I’m hoping this helps my burns times

Reactions: Highbeam
He pulled the car out and cleaned the cat and everything else.

He did not adjust anything.

I put 3 smaller pieces in and left the house. About 5 hours later they are still burning.
I’m hoping this helps my burns times
So he had a replacement cat gasket with him? That’s very unusual.

Reactions: moresnow
So he had a replacement cat gasket with him? That’s very unusual.

No. He did not replace the gasket. I asked him if the gasket was ok and he said yes but I thought anytime you pulled the cat you had to do the gasket too?

There had to of been 3 gallons of soot come out of my pipe. It was filthy.

Your bypass linkage was fouled with crap before he cleaned it. I had mine get a bit tough to function before. Just dirty. Easy to vac it out. Good to go. 3 gallons seems like a pile! Hope she fly's now. Good luck.

Your bypass linkage was fouled with crap before he cleaned it. I had mine get a bit tough to function before. Just dirty. Easy to vac it out. Good to go. 3 gallons seems like a pile! Hope she fly's now. Good luck.

There definitely was a ton of crap that came out. Every time he went up another 6” with his cleaning spinning rod thing it would rain down soot

Cat gasket is 1 time use, it falls apart to dust when removed. He may of just slid the cat back in the frame. As far as the bypass closing better, the last guy that swept probably didn’t clean out the chamber above the firebox, not allowing the bypass to close properly which is why you had so much chimney buildup.

Reactions: showrguy
Cat gasket is 1 time use, it falls apart to dust when removed. He may of just slid the cat back in the frame. As far as the bypass closing better, the last guy that swept probably didn’t clean out the chamber above the firebox, not allowing the bypass to close properly which is why you had so much chimney buildup.

Thanks. So do I need to get a new gasket then and fix what he didn’t?

Thanks. So do I need to get a new gasket then and fix what he didn’t?
Yes you need a new gasket. So many sweeps are too quick to pull the cat... many have a unique gasket too. bK uses a 1/16 interim gasket. Most carry a 1/8”.

Yes you need a new gasket. So many sweeps are too quick to pull the cat... many have a unique gasket too. bK uses a 1/16 interim gasket. Most carry a 1/8”.

Should I not be using the stove until I replace it?

I think you can use it but as soon as you can get the gasket

Would it be a good practice to have a spare gasket on hand? Two spares?

I usually find it's worthwhile to buy extra trivial stuff that needs to be replaced from time to time.

I usually find it's worthwhile to buy extra trivial stuff that needs to be replaced from time to time.[/QUOTE
It is good practice to keep spares on hand...I do it as the Princess is my primary heat source...I dont want the stove down for any longer than necessary if I need to replace something so I have a spare cat and a couple feet of 1/16 Interim gasket and enough gasket material to do the door.

by the way, any idea how old the cat is. might not be a bad idea to replace so you know where your at. Unless you have that info

you can buy that gasket in a big roll FYI.

I loaded the stove at about 5 last night. Only loaded maybe 2/3 full. It is now about 530 am and I have at least another 2 hours of usable heat left. And the house is probably 10 degrees hotter then normal and hotter then I would like it. I bet it’s pushing 80 degrees in the main living area and it’s usually around 70.

I think this fixed most of my issues. I need to experiment with turning the stove down even farther.

Had it set around 2 over night.

Reactions: Rhodie and Highbeam

I usually find it's worthwhile to buy extra trivial stuff that needs to be replaced from time to time.

No. The reason is that you should almost never need or want to remove the cat unless you have a new one to install. The new cats come with a new gasket.

If anything, have a new cat on hand with a gasket preinstalled. Ready to pop in.

Reactions: webby3650
No. The reason is that you should almost never need or want to remove the cat unless you have a new one to install. The new cats come with a new gasket.

If anything, have a new cat on hand with a gasket preinstalled. Ready to pop in.

Insert users can't pop the pipe off to clean chimney sweepings from that ledge behind the cat, inspect their bypass gasket/door, etc.