Please Help ID my Resolute stove/ Damper Question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Scuba68

Feb 27, 2022
South Puget Sound
Hello All, First post here! Bought a house last year and Hoping to Identify which VC Resolute wood stove This is. Gave it a hard look over and don't see a Model #.
I Really like this stove and want to bring it back to it's former glory but it needs some replacement parts & some good ole TLC.🙂
Also.... The 6'' stove pipe hadn't been cleaned for a while so I gave it a thorough cleaning and in the process discovered a missing bolt on the Fireback/Damper assembly. pics attached.
I installed the bolt and now when I close the Damper the fire slowly snuffs out, Where as before it would shut down nicely for the night.
Thanks in Advance for any insight or Knowledge you could pass along!!!

Resolute pic#1.jpg Resolute pic#2.jpg

Looks like this is a Resolute III. Can you post the picture of the bolt that was put in?

If ash has filled up the combustion cavity behind the fireback then that will need to be cleaned out.

Is the thermostatic air control still working? Can it still open the air intake fully?

Given the age of the stove, I'd pull the fireback and vacuum out the passages behind it. Also, be sure the little secondary air flap is open on the lower left side.

Last edited:
Will pull the fire back and give it a thorough cleaning this weekend, Yes I believe the thermostatic air is functioning as it should.
Thanks again for the tips! I'll let you know the outcome.

that is a resolute 3 (swing doors instead of drop door). don't know about that bolt; are there other body bolts in the rear, thinking about rear heat shield mounting points. should have a two piece fireback. i believe you need to remove the inner sides before removing the lower piece.

So I got off work early and dove into disassembly /cleaning mode, Completely removing the fireback & sides and found the fire pathway 60-70% blocked by fine ash, Cleaned & put her back together, lit a fire and.... The Damper and stove work perfectly, Shuts down nicely!
Now I have to order a new fire back, you can see a pretty good crack on the right side. Really like this stove!
Thanks again for the troubleshooting tips!

Resolute pic#5.jpg Resolute pic#6.jpg

Reactions: Mt Bob
glad you could get the inner sides out without incident. often the bolts will break. might consider tracking down an ash fettle to keep ash from falling out the front.

Thanks, I have the fettle. removed it for the disassembly/Clean-out. Now I just have track down the replacement fireback and andirons.
thanks to all for success with this project!

Reactions: Mt Bob
You are going to love that stove. I had a Resolute, looking at yours brings back good memories.

Yes, it's a sweet little stove. We loved ours too.