please help id this firewood-2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I wasn’t on site to see the leaves
A fairly white color, bark is thick & super hard, super difficult to split , note the unsmooth natty sides of the splits, not a clean cleave, Probably felled probably >1-2 years before I got it. Burns great! burns hot, starts easy/quick, excellent coals, lasts a long time super ( except the splitting was a bear & these were 8-12 inches long). Thank you

Attachments

• 20191208_094340.jpg
    20191208_094340.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 20191208_094401.jpg
    20191208_094401.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 181
  • 20191208_094426.jpg
    20191208_094426.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 183
If this was in my stack I would say it was sassafras but I don't know for sure, it doesn't look exactly like the sassafras I have. But I'm drawing a blank on anything else it could be.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

You find your sassafras as I described, super hard to split (but I got it dry & old) & burns as good or better than oak, probably better? Thank you

That's Gum not Sassy, probably Sweetgum. Sassy practically splits just by looking at it, is light weight with a smooth grain and has an aroma like Pinesol.

Reactions: Microduck17
The splitting was the main difference I see between my sassafras and the wood you have. Mine seems to split pretty cleanly not all stringy like that. Mine burns well and with enough heat but a lot faster than oak. The bark and wood coloration looks right but the splitting is wrong. Ive never split any sassafras that I could describe as old and dry so that might account for it. When split does it have an aromatic smell to it like a light and not sweet sort of root beer smell?

Just saw your post PA. Woodsman. That makes sense. I've only dealt with gum on one occasion about 12 years ago and it wasn't in a firewood capacity it was wile clearing trees from in front of a satellite dish. I remember it as being very tough to deal with. I was drawing a blank on other trees with the reddish inner bark.

Hickory. I gave up on trying to burn it because it is so hard to split.