please help id this tree.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I wasn’t on the site so didn’t see the leaves but it reminds me of the tree that has 3-leaf segments (like poison ivy is in three leafs). It is fairly light in weight for not being dead. Somewhat common in south central North Carolina.
At 1st I thought it was elm so I split 3 rounds it & it was SUPER easy to split, unlike any elm I have split so I ruled out elm (any elm that I have ever split).
I've always wondered what that 3-leaf tree was & so now I have good reason to know.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 20191206_164730.jpg
    20191206_164730.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 204
  • 20191206_164741.jpg
    20191206_164741.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 218
  • 20191206_164757.jpg
    20191206_164757.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 213
Box elder (Acer negundo).

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Yes, that is it. Thank you

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_negundo : " The wood of box elder is soft and comparatively worthless for lumber. It has been used for household implements, handicrafts, barrels, and occasionally furniture. Like all maples, the sap of box elder can be tapped for syrup, but it is of poor quality and has a strong taste. "

So not a decent firewood I assume , which is what I always thought based on it light weight?

I did see on my wood chart the below:

Species​
Heat​
Weight*​
Ease Of Splitting​
Ease Of Starting​
Coaling Qualities​
Sparks​
Fragrance​
Maple, Soft
High-Medium​
2924​
Moderate​
Fair-Difficult​
Excellent​
Few​
Excellent​

But I see no reference in Wiki that another name for boxelder is "Soft Maple".

Would you guys burn this Box elder ( aka boxelder maple, ash-leaved maple, and maple ash) or toss it?

I've burnt plenty Sugar Maple & Silver maple, so I'm familiar with those.
Thank you.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
I burn it -- it dries quickly, and is good for starting fires or ramping up from coals. Bad for overnight burns, but I'm happy to have it.

I cut them all as fast as I can find them, since the box elder beetles that depend on the tree are a horrible nuisance around here.

I think it will dry fast, and even medium-low BTU woods will make heat. Use it in the spring and fall, or split it small for fast-burning small starter splits or kindling. I like having a variety of wood types on hand.

I would expect it to be like silver maple -- not one of my favorites. But it's wood.