Please help identify this pipe.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WoodNewb

Mar 26, 2019
Connecticut
Hi everyone. My wife and I purchased a Woodstock soapstone Ideal steel stove so we could reduce our ridiculous oil bill in our newly purchased home. I am sad to say I have had no succes in getting it installed. Our house has a manufactured stainless steel flue that was installed inside a chase when the house was built in '81. For whatever reason, when the previous owner removed the original stove, they also removed the last section of class A chimney pipe that goes through the wall from the tee or clean out. Ever since we got the stove home I have been atempting to identify the brand of this pipe, since code requires it to match in brand and model from top to bottom, to no avail. I only need a one foot section of pipe, the thimble and the adapter. If i can not find these, i would be forced to replace a 30'+ chimney in perfectly good working order which right now i cant afford. The lables on the sections i can see have burned off. I can see where they used to be from the adheasive rectangle left behind. I have gone to multiple fireplace and stove stores in the area and even had two different guys come over and look at it once I opened up the wall and they couldnt identify it either. I have called manufacturers all the way to California and Canada and sent them pictures. The closest we came up with was Selkirk Superpro but that proved incorrect also since the new pipe wouldn't go all the way in. I am reaching out to the knowledgable comunity here to see if anyone may be able to help us identify this pipe. If not, perhaps you guys and gals, being in the stove business, may be aware of some other resource that could help us in this endevor.
Thank you in advanced for any help you may be able to lend us.

20190308_130551-490x1008.jpg 20190308_130610-1008x490.jpg 20190306_175558-1008x490.jpg 20190308_130534-490x1008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like Security chimney to me. Do You have a picture of the cap?

Here are the pictures of the cap.
20190327_142801-806x392.jpg 20190327_142742-806x392.jpg 20190327_142755-806x392.jpg
The cap for the furnace chimney was loose so I took a picture of the tag underneath it and after much cleaning of the image I was able to read Hart and Cooley.
20190327_153923.jpg

I went online and found their website and low and behold , iI think I found it. The rain cap on their website looks ecxactly like mine. Cna you guys corroborate this? Screenshot_20190327-155220_Chrome-432x888.jpg

That is a hokey cap installation. It looks like it is installed to the flashing. Are you going to add a section of pipe to raise this?

Reactions: webby3650
I will not be replacing it. It is atop a masonry facade that I did not get in the picture. All three flues in the house come out of the same masonry facade. It sits about 5 feet above the peak of the roof itself.

It’s definitely a metalbestos/hart&cooley cap. I’m really concerned with how it’s installed though. Is it sitting on the flashing? Or is that the chimney pipe?

The cap has an inner and an outer ring on the bottom. The inner is 6" and goes inside the class A pipe about an inch. The outer ring is no more than a 1/4" lip where that galvanized steel flashing is afixed to it. Underneath that flashing; there is also a duravent flat roof (im going to call it plate since I don't remember the actual name of it) that sits on top of the masonry facade through which the stainless steel chimney penetrates and comes out about a foot from that to meet the rain cap. I'll try and take pictures from further away tomorrow if weather permits so the whole facade and part of the roof can bee seen.

Begreen. Now that I read webby3650's last post, I can see where your concern came from in asking if I would be adding another section of pipe there. The stainless pipe does come through the top of that masonry about a foot and meets the rain cap. The galvanized is just being used as flashing there. I couldn't tell you why since there is already a Duravent flat roof plate there. I will try and take pictures tomorrow weather permiting.
Thanks for your concern.

If you're still nailing down the pipe make/model, I would think there should still be good labels/stickers on it where it goes through the attic? Surface shouldn't be that much hotter than warm to the touch up there.

OK, I might be off base there on a re-read. If it is chased all the way to the roof exit.

Thank you for your suggestion maple1. The house has no attic though. The chimney runs inside a 30+ foot chase in the center of the house. I only have access to the tee because I removed a built in cabinnet in the basement to be able to look for a lable.

That cap is not an original from Hart-Cooley. Your pipe looks like my Metlvent from long ago. When I replaced my cap yours is what I got. I'm going back a long time but pipes are still good. Cap is POS

I sourced a Hart & Cooley stove pipe adapter to try out. I should be able to test fit it in the tee tomorrow and see if that works. I'll report back with my findings. Again; thanks all for your help so far.

That cap is not an original from Hart-Cooley. Your pipe looks like my Metlvent from long ago. When I replaced my cap yours is what I got. I'm going back a long time but pipes are still good. Cap is POS
That is a hart &Cooley cap. They operate under several different names, metalbestos/Selkirk/Hart&Cooley. They’ve used this cap for many many years.

Webby3650. I just looked up Security chimney. While the pipes and caps look very similar I do not believe they are the same. The top piece on my cap seems to have been drawn through a die to shape it while the Security brand seems to have been formed by crimping the metal. Also in their website it says their pipe overlap or penetration is only 1". When I measured mine I got 1+1/8" which is what the website for hart and cooley says theirs is. I had also tried previousley a Selkirk pipe. That one did not work because it has a penetration or overlap of 1+1/4. Other than that it was the same pipe with the same twist lock mechanism. That gives me hope that the Hart an Cooley one will work since they are the same company or at least theircustomer service number is the same. I'll test fit the piece later this afternoon and let you guys know. Thanks for the sugestion either way.

That is a hart &Cooley cap. They operate under several different names, metalbestos/Selkirk/Hart&Cooley. They’ve used this cap for many many years.

Like I said, it's not the original that came with the rest of my pipe. I still have the catalog and the "topper dc" looks nothing like what they're selling today. The original went into pipe, nothing holding it but the tight fit and it was heavy. New one held there by a strap around pipe and is very light.

Webby3650. I just looked up Security chimney. While the pipes and caps look very similar I do not believe they are the same. The top piece on my cap seems to have been drawn through a die to shape it while the Security brand seems to have been formed by crimping the metal. Also in their website it says their pipe overlap or penetration is only 1". When I measured mine I got 1+1/8" which is what the website for hart and cooley says theirs is. I had also tried previousley a Selkirk pipe. That one did not work because it has a penetration or overlap of 1+1/4. Other than that it was the same pipe with the same twist lock mechanism. That gives me hope that the Hart an Cooley one will work since they are the same company or at least theircustomer service number is the same. I'll test fit the piece later this afternoon and let you guys know. Thanks for the sugestion either way.
Like most manufacturers, security has several different lines of chimney pipe. Selkirk is Hart&Cooley, one may fit, one may not because they are a different line from the same company. Keep in mind that just because it fits on there doesn’t mean it’s the same brand.

Ok so the cap is metalbestos 20190329_141202-392x806.jpg which is Selkirk, which is Hart and Cooley. But the Hart and Cooley adapter doesnt fit. 20190329_151629-392x806.jpg It seems to be hitting the inner lip. Btw it is the same adapter as the Selkirk SuperPro. 20190329_151040-806x392.jpg I was up on the roof a little while ago taking the picture of the lable on the cap and was able to unlock the top most section of pipe but thought to ask before removing it. Is it ok to remove it from the top? Should there be any problems putting it back on? I was able to turn it with just my hands and not a lot of force so im asuming ther is no band clamp on it.

Sure looks like security to me. It has no bell of any kind on the female end, only rivets..

Webby3650. I just emailed Security Chimney to ask them if they can comfirm that this is their product. Also i took this picture of the male side of the pipe. Maybe this will comfirm your thoughts on this pipe being scurity seeing as they have rivets as you mentioned.
20190401_154438-392x806.jpg

Selkirk has a number of different Series of pipes, the Super Pro and Super Vent, usually sold thru Lowes Tractor Supply, Menards are not interchangeable with Selkirk's other lines of pipes, including the SSII pipe that you have.
Might try Selkirk Tech Support, they should be able to answer any of those questions on what will fit on to what.
800-669-3190