Please help!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chasemfetters

Jan 24, 2012
Ponca City, OK
We recently purchased a lopi feedom insert and we have been pretty pleased with it performance besides one thing. Every time I open the door to reload it smoke comes out of the door and into the living room. I’ve tried everything I can to fix this issue. I’ve opened windows, shut off ceiling fans, blower, and even opened a door. Short of calling the company that I had install it I’m Out of ideas. Any information would help out. Thanks in advance

We recently purchased a lopi feedom insert and we have been pretty pleased with it performance besides one thing. Every time I open the door to reload it smoke comes out of the door and into the living room. I’ve tried everything I can to fix this issue. I’ve opened windows, shut off ceiling fans, blower, and even opened a door. Short of calling the company that I had install it I’m Out of ideas. Any information would help out. Thanks in advance
First could you tell us more about your setup? Pictures would help then chimney stack height too type of wood,is your stove basement install list goes on.

A few things could be the issue. It's warm outside. The flue liner is cold and too short, The chimney cap is plugging up.

There are some other possibilities but we lack info. You don't have your location in the Avatar so we don't know what outside temps are like. How tall is the chimney?

Reactions: black smoke signals
That should work ok. Draft should improve with colder outside temps. Are you opening the bypass before opening the stove door? If the cap is not clogged, one possibility is that the liner is kinked or flattened. This can happen if the passage past the damper is tight and the area wasn't opened up.

I had the same problem when I had my Lopi Liberty. Open the Bypass then open the door about a inch or so and wait a few seconds or min. Let the fire start back up to pull the smoke up then open the door SLOW. Sometimes when you open the door fast you pull the smoke back with you... I hope this helps Fespo

when you're opening the door is there wood burning in the stove? a lot of people on here burn in "cycles"
i.e. load stove, dial it in to cruise temp, let coals burn down a little, reload and repeat.