Please help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hurstchris90

Nov 11, 2019
Midland, MI
Hello all, new guy here

I am new to fireplaces and chimneys and currently looking to replace my old (unknown if functioning) fireplace. I'm interested in a new wood burning insert. Can anyone tell me or help me identify what I'm dealing with here? Through research, I think it's an old heatilator? I took a top and bottom vent off. There's no fans or ducting, but I can see the back side of a steel firebox.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks guys!!

Attachments

• IMG_20191111_142417.jpg
    IMG_20191111_142417.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 119
Looks like it may be a heatform fireplace. Does it have a metal or masonry chimney?

If it is masonry then an insert is ok. What are the dimensions of the fireplace firebox, front and back and depth?

There are 2 main parts of an insert system, one being the insert, the other being the flue or means of discharging the smoke.

@begreen is correct, you need to tell us about the chimney. Is it masonry with a terra cotta liner, or is it a steel pipe enclosed in a framed chimney chase (or stuccoed).

It is possible to cut away parts of the steel firebox to allow an insert liner to pass thru and fit into the chimney. Then the width, depth and height of the existing firebox play a big role in determining what can fit in there. If the chimney is sub-standard, then its a whole new ballgame.

Take a couple of exterior photos of the chimney, zoom in on the top as one of them, post and we can better help you focus your research.

Reactions: hurstchris90
There are 2 main parts of an insert system, one being the insert, the other being the flue or means of discharging the smoke
To avoid any further confusion. This is not an insert, it’s a heat form Fireplace. An insert must be inserted into a fireplace, which is always removable. A heat form is sat in place and the a masonry structure is built around it, it’s not removable.

@spudman99 and @begreen

It is a masonary chimney, I know that I have a clay liner. I can see the terracotta tip of the chimney from the ground, also, when I stick my head up into the chimney I can see the clay liner.

@webby3650 can an insert be out in place of a heatform? Or am I basically SOL?

@spudman99 @begreen @webby3650

Here are photos of the entire chimney. Three flues, one for the furnace, one for chimney, and have no idea what the third is for. Maybe had an old stove in the basement at some point? Home was built in 1954.

Wonderful snowy weather here in Michigan too
IMG_20191111_174048.jpg IMG_20191111_174030.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
you can absoultly install an insert in there, you may have to cut out a portion of the top of the heat form to fit a insulated liner down to the insert connection, no a big deal, good sawsal with metal blades is all it takes.
What are the dimensions of the fire box (length, width, height)

@spudman99 and @begreen

It is a masonary chimney, I know that I have a clay liner. I can see the terracotta tip of the chimney from the ground, also, when I stick my head up into the chimney I can see the clay liner.

@webby3650 can an insert be out in place of a heatform? Or am I basically SOL?
An insert is not put in place of a heatform. It is inserted into it. Some of the metal may need to be cut out to allow the liner to pass through and be hooked to the insert

you can absoultly install an insert in there, you may have to cut out a portion of the top of the heat form to fit a insulated liner down to the insert connection, no a big deal, good sawsal with metal blades is all it takes.
What are the dimensions of the fire box (length, width, height)
Hold on a second here! It’s not really all that easy, sometimes it’s a real pain! A combination of a grinder and a Diablo sawzall blade works well. It really depends on how rusty it is and how much has to come out.

Reactions: bholler
That's a "heatalator" that's not a "Heatalator :)

I have one. Late 50's early 60's install. Masonary, and then the heating vents & grills were put in, the bricked over. Mine was bricked over on the inside, as well, and I have an ash dump down in the basement.

The PE resides in mine, never did get around to cutting the tile, to reinstall the grills (originally had red brick facing, yours is painted over) . A plus with this system, is that the original "heatalator" system still passively works, in conjunction with your inserts blower. A win/win. In my case, I use the duct holes to speed dry ;)

Pardon Sam & Murphy, they are waiting to lay down on the rug :)

Attachments

• IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 132
Hold on a second here! It’s not really all that easy, sometimes it’s a real pain! A combination of a grinder and a Diablo sawzall blade works well. It really depends on how rusty it is and how much has to come out.
Yes plus it has 8x12 clay liner. Which means an ovalized liner to make it fit

Open the doors and take a pic or two
of the inside. The door set up looks similar to a Fuego Flame. I had one of those inside a heatform. Tore out the Fuego and installed the insert.
If there is a gap where that upper screen is above the doors, and you can see a shell at the bottom of that screen, then you have an insert in there, and if so, it is most likely a junk one, especially if a Fuego Flame. Can be removed and good insert installed. If it is just a door & vents, and there is just the heatform alone, then you can just install an insert in there.

Open the doors and take a pic or two
of the inside. The door set up looks similar to a Fuego Flame. I had one of those inside a heatform. Tore out the Fuego and installed the insert.
If there is a gap where that upper screen is above the doors, and you can see a shell at the bottom of that screen, then you have an insert in there, and if so, it is most likely a junk one, especially if a Fuego Flame. Can be removed and good insert installed. If it is just a door & vents, and there is just the heatform alone, then you can just install an insert in there.
Not that it matters in this instance some he wants a real insert. But those are just some cheap Fireplace doors.

Here's some photos for reference.
Old Fuego Flame insert in heatform.
Heatform with Fuego insert pulled out
Damper area of old heatfrom
Cut out of heatform to allow liner to run straight down onto new insert
New insert, stonework & lighting.

Attachments

• fireplace.JPG
    fireplace.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 119
  • old feugo flame.JPG
    old feugo flame.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 124
  • original firplace.JPG
    original firplace.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 122
  • old damper2.JPG
    old damper2.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 130
  • old damper cut out.JPG
    old damper cut out.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 117
  • PIC00028.JPG
    PIC00028.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 135
  • SAM_6663.JPG
    SAM_6663.JPG
    421 KB · Views: 134
Reactions: Dix and webby3650
Yes plus it has 8x12 clay liner. Which means an ovalized liner to make it fit
If the clay is being left intact, an oval liner would make it easier to fit through the damper area. I guess it depends on how much height there is in there.

Here's some photos for reference.
Old Fuego Flame insert in heatform.
Heatform with Fuego insert pulled out
Damper area of old heatfrom
Cut out of heatform to allow liner to run straight down onto new insert
New insert, stonework & lighting.
Man! What an improvement! Great work!

Ty

If the clay is being left intact, an oval liner would make it easier to fit through the damper area. I guess it depends on how much height there is in there.
I try not to remove clay from fireplaces when they are in decent shape we will usually ovalize in a case like this so the liner can be properly insulated

I try not to remove clay from fireplaces when they are in decent shape we will usually ovalize in a case like this so the liner can be properly insulated
Same here. We remove mostly 8x8 tiles.

Same here. We remove mostly 8x8 tiles.
Yes. We will knock out 8x12s in a regular chimney but try to avoid it if possible in fireplaces. In our area at least fireplaces are often backfilled with rubble that can collapse when breaking out as well. That makes for a fun day. And another reason to try to leave the clay

Reactions: webby3650
So here's the dimensions of my firebox:

Front Side to side: approx. 32" at it's widest, narrows to 27" at the bottom rear

Top side to side:approx. 32" at it's widest, narrows to 24" at the baffle

Bottom front to back: 19"

Top front to back" 14.5"

Fire brick on the floor of the box, steel walls and back. Glass bi-fold doors. Baffle is broken (see photos).

Again guys, thanks for all of the replies! Making me feel good about my soon to be project!

IMG_20191112_104806.jpgIMG_20191112_104757.jpgIMG_20191112_104843.jpgIMG_20191112_105547.jpgIMG_20191112_105003.jpgIMG_20191112_104829.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, same as I had. Putting an insert in there should not be a problem. You will ahve to cut out the old firebox inner & outer shells as in the photos I shared. Sweep the chimney before yous start. Next, you'll have to figure what insert you want, and how you wan to line the chimney. Highly suggest insulating the liner and block off plate at the damper area around the liner.

Awesome! Glad I can make it work. I guess my last question; can I cover up the old vents? Or must I leave them alone? The reason I ask is because I notice MOST of the metal trim pieces for inserts tend to be 40-45" in width. I only have approx. 36" side-to-side before a trim piece would ultimately cover the vents.

Awesome! Glad I can make it work. I guess my last question; can I cover up the old vents? Or must I leave them alone? The reason I ask is because I notice MOST of the metal trim pieces for inserts tend to be 40-45" in width. I only have approx. 36" side-to-side before a trim piece would ultimately cover the vents.
Yes you want to seal up the vents. I usually stuff as much of the old air circulation cavity with roxul as I can.

Sure. I left mine open as they do passively move heated air.

Reactions: Dix