Please Identify

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
There is a piece of steel that runs along the bottom quarter length of the back of the stove. I was just hoping it was ul listed but I guess not

Do you have a picture of this piece of steel?

It would be illegal to install and use if you are in a state where they have adopted the International Building Codes due the code requiring ALL appliances to be UL Listed. (installed as tested) This prevents use of antiques as well.
NFPA 211 solid fuel standard has a section for unlisted appliances that was used country wide for years. Codes adopt this standard, so no further testing is necessary on a local level. When a local government or entire state adopts the International Code, or ICC, that code has the added "only UL Listed". EXISTING installations and use may be continued. It is only for NEW installations. Many insurance companies simply have the same rule to only insure UL Listed equipment. This is to prevent homemade appliances and parts that are not tested as safe.
It would be illegal in WA, CA and OR since those three states require EPA Certified stoves as well. (smoke particulate)

If you're in Kentucky going by your area code, they adopted the 2015 International Building Code which requires all appliances to be UL Listed. You will find it in the Mechanical Code section.
Most stoves sold are simply installed with no way to confirm if it was an "existing" installation.

Reactions: CamFan
Do you have a picture of this piece of steel?
He is referring to the rear shield. No tag is not listed, even if it was at one time.

Grandma III 3.jpg GM III CO. CL rear.jpg

Reactions: Todd67
Thanks @coaly ! That's the same as my Coal Bear. It has the rear and bottom heat shields but no trace of a UL tag anywhere on it.