Please please help Harman p68 only source of heat is down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I’m guessing the stove goes into shutdown possibly due to “dirty” power. Does the combustion blower continuously run when that happens or does it cycle on and off once it starts dying out? If so you could change dip switch 4 and try again(depending on age of stove this is a feature). I’ve run my 52i on generators that aren’t inverters without issue for many hours.

Reactions: Mt Bob
A couple questions.....
- What is the 'generator' you are using? Is it a gas powered with a copper and steel real generator or is it a so called battery portable 'generator'/ power station? The fore mentioned gas generator 'should' give a clean sine sine wave with little harmonic content and 'should power the stove OK. Battery portable power stations are mostly sine wave, but possibly if loaded too much could get 'dirty' and perhaps the voltage may fade off and thus cause the stove to die out. I have a battery power station (200w I think it is) that will carry my XXV for a while if I don't start it with the ignitor and then starts to crap out in about an hour when the auger motor runs.

- Did the stove run OK before the power outage with no noticeable problem?

- I'm guessing you live in NH. Have you had any snow accumulation that may have blocked the stoves exhaust or other reason the exhaust could be blocked? Or blocked outside air intake?

I'd say take a picture of where the dip switches are, or note them, and then change one recommended that puts it in shutdown mode under generator power..

Hello all - Update!

Power was restored today - we lost it on Friday at 7:00 and it was restored an hour ago. During this time I cleaned the stove out and just have it a good rest. I fired it up and it’s working top notch! It sounds good and seems to be responding well to all settings. You all were correct in saying that the stove did not respond well to the generator. Instead of removing the control board and flipping switches I decided to let it be and try it once the power returned in fear of bypassing a safety feature and this frying the control board which I just replaced three weeks ago!!

All systems are a go! Note to self in the future, do things according to what you all are encouraging. With that being said -

Could someone point me in a direction on what to do if this happens again? I do not want to risk running it on our generator and would rather look into a battery backup. Something that would run cleanly for 8 or 10 hours or so.

Thanks again guys - so grateful everything is good here. Appreciate you all.

Great News. I run Harmon XXV off couple of 100ah Batteries (200ah) with AIMS 1250. I plan on after another Season 2024 replacing my batteries (2018/19) purchased with Li Iron Batteries for 400ah of Battery. Then I figured I will be good for 24 hours. I ran real world test and posted the data here few years ago. Good now for 10-12 hours on 1/2 Fan Speed. Amazon product ASIN B0973J21XW
20200120_141747.jpg

Hello all - Update!

Power was restored today - we lost it on Friday at 7:00 and it was restored an hour ago. During this time I cleaned the stove out and just have it a good rest. I fired it up and it’s working top notch! It sounds good and seems to be responding well to all settings. You all were correct in saying that the stove did not respond well to the generator. Instead of removing the control board and flipping switches I decided to let it be and try it once the power returned in fear of bypassing a safety feature and this frying the control board which I just replaced three weeks ago!!

All systems are a go! Note to self in the future, do things according to what you all are encouraging. With that being said -

Could someone point me in a direction on what to do if this happens again? I do not want to risk running it on our generator and would rather look into a battery backup. Something that would run cleanly for 8 or 10 hours or so.

Thanks again guys - so grateful everything is good here. Appreciate you all.

I have the exact same setup as Dataman and though our power was only out for 4 hours Fri night, ran the P43 just fine. The last hour I powered the charger/inverter off our generator (wasn't sure how long power would be out) and no problems there either. It was expensive when I bought it all in fall 2019, a bit more now, even more if you go for the Li Ion batteries.

sam

sam

Here is the post and stats when I ran test. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/real-world-4-hour-test-of-inverter.169919/#post-2280663

In 4 hours it went from 13.36 voltage to 12.12 voltage. I had to run it couple years ago and went 10 hours with 100ah and 35ah battery. It's why I picked up second 100ah battery.

Aims 1250 Watt 12V Pure Sine Wave Inverter Charger
PICOGLF12W12V120AL
Universal UB121000-45978 12v 100AH Deep Cycle AGM Battery 12V 24V 48V(Black)

Harmon XXV Pellet Stove
Started at 11:30am

Voltage: Time:
13.36 Before Start
12.08 11:32am - Cold Auto Start (Max Draw)
12.50 12:08am
12.47 12:30am
12:50 12:45am
12:00 1:47pm - Cold Auto Start (Max Draw)
12:31 2:05pm
12:26 2:44pm
12:20 3:13pm
12.12 3:30pm