Plugging your boost air oulet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Are you sure you plugged the correct hole?

I used to the rope material that makes a seal on around the door. Pulled the rope through. Really changed things.
I was told by my dealer that was the hole but what does the 'welded' hole do? Just wondering if I got the right one.

I posted this in another thread but I just plugged my classic le with some steel wool. My dealer recommended it. It still ran high (800°) but that still in the safe zone. Might try more or cover with a magnet. I'll experiment.

Side note - where does the 'welded hole' go? What is it?

Thanks
Steel wool will pass air. I think on the modern models the boost air port is the welded hole. The larger hole next to the air control valve is the minimum air port and should not be blocked.

Steel wool will pass air. I think on the modern models the boost air port is the welded hole. The larger hole next to the air control valve is the minimum air port and should not be blocked.
Well the point of the steel wool is just to calm it down a bit. I need to block/semi block the hole that leads to the bottom baffle the injects air into the stove right below the door. I'll try the welded hole too I guess.

Steel wool may be (or not?) fine for this application, but just an FYI for those that are unaware, careful what you use steel wool for on stoves...it burns very well!

I did see small sparks like that the day after I used the steel wool. Hmmm.... maybe magnet better.
I have mine blocked with a tightly rolled plug of aluminium foil. Roll it up really tightly and jam it in, just make sure there's enough sticking out to pull it out.
Mine has been in there 2 seasons and not burnt out yet.