Plumbing anyone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

clancey

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2021
Colorado
I have this neighbor two doors away and he is very old and disabled and i have my plumbing company going over there tomorrow to take a look at his hot water heater because what's happening with him is he had this plumber that lite the gas hot water heater and the flame keeps going out and I am kind of worried that this might be dangerous so I sent my plumbing people over there with a special request and they will be over there tomorrow morning to check this out.. Now i am wondering what might this be in regard to a gas hot water heater that is about 10 years old and could this be dangerous for the "old fellow" who cannot see or breathe very well. It is shut off now...Just curious in case it ever happens to me..( This is my once a month good deed act and in secret I told my plumbing company that I would pick up the bill) because he is poor and they will just bill me and i will bill him about 10 dollars--lol but do not tell him....But they will check it out and I am just wondering what it might be?...hoping for the lesser amount--lol clancey

All modern gas appliances have a safety, thermopile driven gas valve that will shut off if the flame goes out. So it's not really dangerous.
The reason for the pilot to go out could be a few things, most likely a dirty burner or possibly a bad thermopile, anyway good to get it checked out because it's a nuisance for sure to have to keep re lighting it.

Reactions: vinny11950
For me it was always the thermocouple. Sometimes just needed adjusted, other times replaced. Cheap fix. At least the older units, not too familiar with prices on the newer ones.

I bet that is it and I will keep you all updated on the price too...The old guy is happy and waiting for them to come tomorrow..Made me feel good....I sure hope when they check and clean my house boiler heater that they don't find anything wrong for last year one main pipe and "valve" - was replaced and that was a lot of money but it was fixed...It's about 10 years old or maybe older and I switched from forced air when I had the chimney new venting put in for that is where it exhausted from. The other furnace became too old to fix and my only choice was to get a new one which I did and at that time changed from forced air to boiler heating because I wanted a more even heat and not have air blow around when it turned on.. I will let you know about my neighbors hot water problem and he is hoping he does not need a new hot water tank but I am thinking about the new technology where you get hot water on demand forget the name of it...clancey

well the old guy cancelled the appointment because his friend the plumber came over and fixed it for it needed a new thermocouple just like you thought...thanks so much for the help..clancey

Reactions: tlc1976