Plumbing in a pump

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bpirger

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 23, 2010
Ithaca NY Area
This is a completely new installation. I know that circulators should be mounted such that the shaft is horizontal. I know where in the plumbing to install the pump (pumping away). How does one actually install the plumbing around a pump? Do I bolt the pump to the flanges (with the o-rings) and then install it as a unit already bolted? Obviously the spacing between the flanges has to be right. It seems like I don't want to tighten the bolts after the plumbing is installed and apply the torque on the plumbing forever, though the require movement ought to be very slight.

Thanks for any comments!

I like the B&G brand of isoflanges best, although the Webstone with the purge port are nice also. Be sure to use plated bolts and nuts. I think everyone but Taco sends plated bolts.

It takes a metric allen wrench, but removing the pump from the volute assures you get solder balls and debris flushed out. It takes some weight out of the package also.

The pump can be in a vertical line just not mounted with the shaft straight up as it traps air at the motor bearing when mounted up.

hr

Attachments

• Picture 12.png
    Picture 12.png
    179.4 KB · Views: 183
bpirger said:
This is a completely new installation. I know that circulators should be mounted such that the shaft is horizontal. I know where in the plumbing to install the pump (pumping away). How does one actually install the plumbing around a pump? Do I bolt the pump to the flanges (with the o-rings) and then install it as a unit already bolted? Obviously the spacing between the flanges has to be right. It seems like I don't want to tighten the bolts after the plumbing is installed and apply the torque on the plumbing forever, though the require movement ought to be very slight.

Thanks for any comments!

We will typically install the first flange, then bolt on the circ (not tightly) and then attach the other flange and pipe from there. It depends of the installation. The trick is to leave enough flex or give in the piping to allow for later removal and reinstallation for service or replacement. That's the reason for not initially bolting the flanges tight.
Webstone's latest version of their rotating flange has a spring tension ring that keeps everything held in place while you fit it up. You don't have to try and hold the flange, the circ, the bolt and the nut all at one time while assembling.

Status
Not open for further replies.