circulating pump position

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

scott leigh

Jul 4, 2023
northern mn
I installed my first boiler this summer and pretty happy w how it went. After completing it, I read that the circulating pump should be mounted so the bottom (black side with screw in the center should be facing out towards the front. I installed it horizontal facing down towards the slab. Is there a reason it must be mounted so that this black area is mounted towards the front? Ease of repair or will it cause cavitation problems?
Thanks

Reactions: hobbyheater
I installed my first boiler this summer and pretty happy w how it went. After completing it, I read that the circulating pump should be mounted so the bottom (black side with screw in the center should be facing out towards the front. I installed it horizontal facing down towards the slab. Is there a reason it must be mounted so that this black area is mounted towards the front? Ease of repair or will it cause cavitation problems?
Thanks
Post some pictures of the installation !

Thanks
Impeller/motor shaft must be horizontal. Search "circulating pump orientation" to learn why.

Reactions: hobbyheater
Thanks

Scott, as others have mentioned, the motor portion of your circulating pump must be installed horizontally. It will last longer; Ask me how I know!

I installed one with the improper orientation and it lasted less than 2 months of use. Rebuilt that pump and it has been used 24/7 since 2008!

How far north in MN are you?

So just to be absolutely done changing things. it still can remain mounted so the lines in and out are horizontal, but the body has to be rotated up so that as I am looking at on the lines, the black side with the center slotted screw will be facing me?????

I think I just got it changed around. Better now than 3 months from now at -20. Thanks for the info guys!

0heatpump 2.jpg

Reactions: ewdudley