Plywood to raise stone hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nickhyena

Nov 4, 2021
UK
Hi all,

Newbie here. I’ve just had a stone hearth cut and it’s slotted into the fireplace above the floor-level concrete hearth original to the house. The granite stone hearth is only 20mm, so by the time I have carpet and underlay fitted it won’t sit proud of the carpet. So, I’d like to raise it.

I had thought of cutting some 12mm ply and laying it underneath. Is this ok or against recommendations for safety? All I can think is it’ll get warm and never be exposed to flame or sparks. I was also going to use adhesive to stick the ply to the floor then then the stone to the ply.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

image.jpg

Is this going to be a regular fireplace, or will a woodstove be placed inside the space?
Which stove? and is it going to be a fireplace insert or freestanding stove? Thanks

Nice looking stove. When reading the CTC's requirements I came across this operating note:

"With a full load of wood, the stove will need to be refuelled approximately once every hour. Wood can be stacked in the stove, but no higher than the tertiary air holes at the back of the firebox."

Is this a normal routine for stove operation in your area? Reloading once a hour seems like a large burden? Curious.

Reactions: Shrewboy
Nice looking stove. When reading the CTC's requirements I came across this operating note:

"With a full load of wood, the stove will need to be refuelled approximately once every hour. Wood can be stacked in the stove, but no higher than the tertiary air holes at the back of the firebox."

Is this a normal routine for stove operation in your area? Reloading once a hour seems like a large burden? Curious.
Yea that seems odd, must be a tiny firebox. I personally would definitely want a bigger / longer lasting one than that.