polaris for hauling wood etc.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DianeB

Feeling the Heat
Apr 26, 2012
Foot Hills of the Berkshires
Do you think this is a good deal, like the idea of the plow on the front as currently we only have a snowblower. Are there better models out there - we are looking for used. We also have lots of dirt road/ trails around here- would use for just getting out into the woods too for fun. Can a passger ride on rear? Are these OK for a small bit of snow?http://westernmass.craigslist.org/rvs/3539274560.html

It will work well for plowing snow- if you are putting a passenger on the back get the seat that bolts onto the rear rack. I am not sure if it's a "deal" though. Seems like a lot of $$ for a 2003.
thought it might be high because for new around $8,500 - but it does have a plow and also a winch which must cost. To add the seat would be $$.

I've got a BIL in south western Maine that uses a 4-wheeler to plow with. Works very well. You get a log arch and you can drag some good sized logs out of the woods. All around 4-wheelers are very useful. Yard work-low impact on the lawn, etc

As long as the snow isn't too deep that combo will work well. I have a 600 Grizz w/ warn plow and have only had one time where it struggled but i still got it done (1' wet snow). I also have chains for the back tires which helps. If you can talk the guy down a bit I would say it a pretty good deal since it doesn't look like it was used very hard.

I would say $3200 would be a good deal. The guy selling it even has all of the paperwork on it which tells me he takes care of it.

Seems a little high on the price considering it's 10 years old. I have an 04 sportsman 700 twin. Paid $6300 out the door with winch later added the plow for $500. Love it for plowing snow! Actually thats the most use it has gotten for the last few years is plowing all the guys i used to ride with got married and had kids!

Looks like it's been taken care of. Check around and see if there are any around that price if there are ones that are lower use them as a bargaining tool. Polaris makes a good 4 wheeler.

Do you think this is a good deal, like the idea of the plow on the front as currently we only have a snowblower. Are there better models out there - we are looking for used. We also have lots of dirt road/ trails around here- would use for just getting out into the woods too for fun. Can a passger ride on rear? Are these OK for a small bit of snow?http://westernmass.craigslist.org/rvs/3539274560.html
By the looks of the plow setup you'll be snapping the cable some, it's normal. Make sure the brakes on the winch are still good(will hold the plow up).

After running the same setup (winch to plow) we bought the pulley kit for the Moose Plow, since we bought it we have never broke the cable. If we had the old setup we would have snapped the cable 3 or 4 times this year.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/moose-plow-pulley-kit.102865/#post-1330159

Condition looks good . . . but the price is a bit on the higher side for the age of the machine.

Polaris offers a fantastic ride . . . most of the time on a quad like this you would end up buying a bolt on seat for $150-$300. Most of the ATV manufacturers have a warning sticker that the ATV is only for a single rider and the bolt on seats have a sticker stating that they are only for use when you are out riding by yourself and want to sit back . . . but in reality lots and lots of folks ride two-up . . . you just have to be aware of the extra weight on the back. This ATV could also be used for work and play . . . and should handle a few inches of snow without too many problems . . . just be aware that 700cc is quite a bit of power for the newbie and it often seems that this is where many folks end up getting hurt -- buying too big of a machine before learning how to ride on a smaller machine . . . not that you cannot get hurt on a smaller machine either.

Personally . . . I'm a big fan of Honda ATVs as they are near bullet proof. The trade off for most of their models unfortunately is the stiff ride as most Hondas still have not switched over to the more comfortable riding independent rear suspension.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think machine good enough to go see - Keene is not too far from us. May ask over the phone how many hours and miles on it. Are the bolt on seats universal or are they unique for each mfg. and model? I like the big nubby wheels. Perhaps may slow the machine down some, but that is OK, we are not into racing, just meandering.
The extra power may be good for pulling some weight, meaninng a trailer or log(s).

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think machine good enough to go see - Keene is not too far from us. May ask over the phone how many hours and miles on it. Are the bolt on seats universal or are they unique for each mfg. and model? I like the big nubby wheels. Perhaps may slow the machine down some, but that is OK, we are not into racing, just meandering.
The extra power may be good for pulling some weight, meaninng a trailer or log(s).

The bolt on seats are pretty much universal . . . most either have U-bolts that attach to the rear rack, bolts that go directly into the rack or straps.

I forgot to mention . . . those tires look like after market tires. They really don't slow things up that much . . . only time you really tend to notice them actually is when you're moving at low speed then it feels like you're riding on a farm tractor.

If this machine doesn't work for you . . . 400-600 cc is more than enough power for most folks and their uses. I plow snow and haul a large trailer with a 450cc machine . . . before that I did most of the same things with a 300cc ATV.

We have a 700 and use it for hauling wood and plowing snow among other uses. Love it and has plenty of power. It just seems a bit high on the price because it is already 10 years old. Get them down a bit and it might then be a good deal.

The bolt on seats are pretty much universal . . . most either have U-bolts that attach to the rear rack, bolts that go directly into the rack or straps.

I forgot to mention . . . those tires look like after market tires. They really don't slow things up that much . . . only time you really tend to notice them actually is when you're moving at low speed then it feels like you're riding on a farm tractor.

If this machine doesn't work for you . . . 400-600 cc is more than enough power for most folks and their uses. I plow snow and haul a large trailer with a 450cc machine . . . before that I did most of the same things with a 300cc ATV.

Would this mean that the machine has quite a few miles/hours on it? Takes quite a few miles to wear out tires. But some upgrade to bigger more aggressive tires. Just typing out loud.

Alot of ppl upgrade the tires from new. Usually the factory tires are not the best.

I have a 2004.5 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI. It has been a very reliably machine and was the first year for EFI. It has been stored outside under a cover for the last 8.5 years and fires right up and will pull anything I throw at it.

Would this mean that the machine has quite a few miles/hours on it? Takes quite a few miles to wear out tires. But some upgrade to bigger more aggressive tires. Just typing out loud.

No . . . not at all. It could be lots of miles . . . or it could be that they simply swapped out for better tires when they bought it. I know many folks who have purchased after market tires for their quad shortly after buying it new . . .

a brand new 2013 Sporstman 400ho has a msrp 5699 (and is actually 455cc), last year you could pick them up for around 5200 with discounts if I remember right

Status
Not open for further replies.