Poll About Wood Splitters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wood Splitters: Buy Fully Assembled or Buy and Assemble at Home

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WoodBurnerInWI

Feeling the Heat
Feb 2, 2020
Madison, WI
Having bought my wood splitter last year fully assembled and ready to go from Home Depot, I was curious what others preferred when it came time to get your splitter. Did you opt for a unit that was fully built and ready to take home? Or did you order it, have it delivered to your home and built it yourself. Lots of various opinions on the matter if you read the Q and A sections of the Champion splitters Home Depot sells. Some there opt for getting it built at the store or hoping for an assembled floor model (mine was the floor model). Others say that building it yourself is the way to go and to not trust some dork who probably doesn't know crap about building things lol! To that I will say that my splitter was built by the manager of the garden dept who has to deal with these machines all the time and he told me he's built nearly 1,000 wood splitters for customers in his years there. Mine was done absolutely perfect, no issues at all and still awesome to this day!

One of those things I would like to be ready to run, but I still do enjoy a good puzzle!

Too many 17 year old "IDGAF" assemblers anymore. I prefer to assemble my own stuff so I know the bolts aren't going to fall off inside. With my wood splitter, I built the whole thing myself. Learned to weld doing it. And I posted a full step by step of it somewhere. It was a fun and frustrating ride, but she'll split any log ~40" long or so. I keep em 36" because we have a big fireplace, but it can do bigger.

Reactions: duramaxman05
For a cost savings I'd definitely choose self assembly. Same cost? Definitely buy the preassembled one. I enjoy building and wrenching, but not for free!

Mine was used, so never did it. What do you save buying not assembled? I assume it was mostlly together and run, before they broke it down and crated . How many pieces is it?

For most of us, an opinion on this is hardly based on a lot of experience, as might be the case with a vehicle. Most will acquire but one splitter and use it for many years.

I would probably prefer to self assemble, but the one I bought came assembled and running...had to re-route the one hose though...thing was twisted up like a pile of snakes, courtesy of that 17 YO IDGAF that was mentioned earlier I'm sure...

You missed the category for those who prefers to build their own...

I put my splitters together myself. That being said mine were ordered, they were not available at the store. I can go either way. It was cool to put them together, also would have been ok just to pick them up and drive away. I never put one together before so it was a learning experience. I liked the feeling of putting it together myself.