Pool sand filter issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laynes69

Minister of Fire
Oct 2, 2006
Ashland OH
I just installed a 24' above ground pool that came with the works, sand filter, pump, chemicals, etc. When the pool first was filled, I didn't know anything about sand filters or pumps for that matter and set the filter to pool. I now realize I should have back washed and rinsed before starting. Anyhow, I vaccumed the pool in pool mode and after looking things up I realized I sold have been in filter mode. The problem now is, whenever I vacuum the pool (it's in filter mode), small flies and debris will come out of the output of the pool. It was a 19" sand filter which says it takes 150# of sand, but came with 100. After adding another 50#, I'm still having the same issues. The water is crystal clear, but I keep seeing stuff coming back out into the pool, which is clearly large enough to be filtered. Any ideas?

You should have a "rinse" setting on the filter. After you backwash turn off the pump, switch to rinse. Run that around 20 seconds. Turn off pump again. Then set to filter and turn back on.

Reactions: flyingcow
It's possible you have channeled the sand in the filter. I think that's what it's called. I forget. Google trouble free pools and deep cleaning. You might want to do that too.

you backwash and then rinsing for a minute or so into the sewer or the hose dumps onto the lawn / driveway once a week ?
(or right after a rain to bring the water level back down )

The only time I remember using "pool" ( I'm guessing 'pool' is "recirculate" ) was adding shock or to keep the water circulating without going thru the filter . Could come in handy syphoning leaves off the bottom that you didn't want clogging the filter.

Switching the valve position always seem to disturb the plumbing a little bit but that was usually over in about 30 seconds.

Reactions: flyingcow
I do rinse now after the fact. It may be chanelling, I'll check into it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Any chance your owners manual has a number to call, or info on the filter. Would be worth your time to look and call.

Anytime we have a fair amount of crap on bottom of pool we "waste" it onto ground. This way it doesn't go thru filter. But if it's routine cleaning its on "filter" then when done backwash then rinse until water is clear. Valve heads will have different terms, but follow your manuals instructions.

BTW, i have an inground with a 300lb sand filter. Should be the same process as yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.