Poor Quality Tractor Supply

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Busy_Bosco

Apr 23, 2020
West Virginia
I'm new to the pellet stove game, and I love my local Tractor Supply, but the pellets I got from them don't burn that good.

The pellets leave behind a lot of unburned mass that coats everything.

Do you think Lowes or Home Depot pellets are better?

If you live in the West Virginia Panhandle, who do you use?

Yes usually the box stores will have off brand pellets and they are usually a lessor quality than regional brand names. But that can change from batch to batch year to year.

Looks like you are pretty new here. What type of stove do you have?

You probably need to get your stove dialed in burn wise before you will be able to say whether a cheaper pellet burns bad and the money for top end pellets is warranted.

What is the UPC code on the bags? That could tell us what kind of pellets are actually in there (NEWPs, GS' or something else)

In my area, TSC's are usually Maine Wood Pellets (MWP - not to be confused with Maine's Best) - not a great pellet by any means, but a nice middle-of-the-road pellet that is priced accordingly.

You say you are getting unburned mass , so I'm assuming you mean unburned pellets if this is the case try turning the trim adjustment down one setting at a time allowing atleast 15 mins. to settle and see if that helps.

Would help knowing your stove and it's setup. Hamers Hot Ones are made in Elkin, West Virginia. Burn real nice in my Harman. Hot! Somersets come out of Somerset, Kentucky and burn real nice too, which is what I burn most of the time, due to price and availability. Get them from Menards. Both of these are hardwood. Most pellets are regional due to shipping costs. I've never seen a softwood pellet in my area.

Would help knowing your stove and it's setup. Hamers Hot Ones are made in Elkin, West Virginia. Burn real nice in my Harman. Hot! Somersets come out of Somerset, Kentucky and burn real nice too, which is what I burn most of the time, due to price and availability. Get them from Menards. Both of these are hardwood. Most pellets are regional due to shipping costs. I've never seen a softwood pellet in my area.

this year I’ve noticed that softwoods are more available in my neck of the country than ever noticed since I’ve been burning. TSC and my local farm store is carry soft. I picked up a ton of soft and ton of hard. My understanding is the hardwoods will be limited due to BBQ pellets and lack of source of materials from COVID.

this year I’ve noticed that softwoods are more available in my neck of the country than ever noticed since I’ve been burning. TSC and my local farm store is carry soft. I picked up a ton of soft and ton of hard. My understanding is the hardwoods will be limited due to BBQ pellets and lack of source of materials from COVID.
Have you been seeing Easy Heats down in your area? I saw some in Joplin last year that were awesome, but i saw some in Springfield that were crap. They have multiple factory’s so they aren’t all the same. Steer clear of Fiber Energies if they start drifting your way.

Have you been seeing Easy Heats down in your area? I saw some in Joplin last year that were awesome, but i saw some in Springfield that were crap. They have multiple factory’s so they aren’t all the same. Steer clear of Fiber Energies if they start drifting your way.

no easy heats in my area. Been wanting to try them. I agree on fiber energy pellets. This year orchleans isn’t carrying them as normal. I’ve had mostly terriable results from them in the past being terrible on the ash. This year I went with TSC on pellets because they were cheaper than orchleans. Pick up a ton of their store brand. (Lignitics) and ton of Patterson’s softwoods from Texas. Orchleans had yesterday a soft wood from Heat Resource so they are probably going be more available than hardwood.

no easy heats in my area. Been wanting to try them. I agree on fiber energy pellets. This year orchleans isn’t carrying them as normal. I’ve had mostly terriable results from them in the past being terrible on the ash. This year I went with TSC on pellets because they were cheaper than orchleans. Pick up a ton of their store brand. (Lignitics) and ton of Patterson’s softwoods from Texas. Orchleans had yesterday a soft wood from Heat Resource so they are probably going be more available than hardwood.
Never seen softwood heat resource. I interesting

Sounds to me like you have combustion air issues and not pellet issues. You need to fiddle with your A/F ratio first before blaming the pellets.

I have been playing with the air to fuel ratio. I think me and the wifey are in much better shape now.

Now it prefers to ember pellets with small flames. Before it was a raging fire.

The raging fire looked amazing! But I don't think that's what it's supposed to do.

Never seen softwood heat resource. I interesting
16E10B3B-FA98-4089-A9C4-97F795296752.jpeg

I live in NY state & have used Tractor Supply own branded pellets for 5 years and never had an issue. I've tried variety of different branded pellets and go back to TSC.... However I think they have different suppliers for their pellets according to area..