Poplar a good wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Beagler said:
I didn't mean that it's ready to burn after being split for 3 months. Lol! You'll be the judge of that.

This is formally called "hijacking thread." At the least, please quote post you're responding to. Thanks.

I would consider buying that, if I was into the purchasing part of this game. Where I live (Alberta) all I have nearby is Aspen (poplar). I have some that is going on 4 years CSS. I don't really care how long it burns as we have LOTS here. Buy it, burn it and report back your experiences with the various types of wood in the package. Kinda like a tasters pack of beer!

As usual Backwoods Savage is exactly right. I cut some poplar my first year burning wood and I think constantly running downstairs to fill up the stove kept me warmer than the fire. I will occasionally cut some if it is very close to the road but I don't count on it at all for the coldest part of winter. On the plus side it does split VERY easy.

Take the poplar. It is great shoulder season wood, also good for when you are home and can load more often. Burns fast but burns hot too.

J-RO said:
Just wondering if this wood is any good to burn with? Ive got a line on some and want to check first before i buy it thx.

Not my top choice for firewood . . . but I cut it and burn it . . . mostly in the shoulder seasons or when I'm home in the evenings or on weekends. Burns hot and fast . . . not a lot of coals.

I'm not sure I would want to buy it myself . . . unless it was pretty darn close to being free. On the flip side it processes wicked easy. Assuming of course that we're talking quaking or bigtooth aspen which is more common here . . . and is known as poplar or popple.

J-RO said:
How long can white birch season?

I season mine for a year or two . . . definitely good to go in a year . . . but in my own case I don't get around to burning it until Year 3. If kept dry and off the ground it will be fine.

LLigetfa said:
Backwoods Savage said:
During those cold days you'll quickly learn why it is commonly referred to as gopher wood. That is, put some wood in the stove and then go fer some more..
I've also heard it called baby maker wood. After you wake up in the middle of the night to reload the stove, you look for alternative ways to get warm.

Have you ever noticed, at least with folks my age, how many were born in October and November? That was long before television so something had to occupy their time and, as you say, keep them warm.

J-RO said:
Dose popal tend to be a lighter wood than say birch and maple?

When dry, yes. When wet, I don't think - it holds quite a bit of water. Poplar will burn decent but not for long. It doesn't split easy, and it needs to be split to dry - even 4" rounds might still be not dry as it should be after quite a bit of seasoning time.

J-RO said:
Dose popal tend to be a lighter wood than say birch and maple?

Generally yes . . . although there isn't a huge difference in weight.

I leave it always. There is so much oak, ash, cherry and other good woods that cutting poplar is just wasting time that could be spent cutting wood that burns twice as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.