Poplar?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pennsyltucky Chris

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2014
Nockamixon, Pa
I'm no expert at wood identification, so I need a little help. Am I in the right place? ;)

This stuff is heavy, yet easy to split. No effort even necessary. A half-hearted drop of the old 8 pounder sent these splits flying.

9c4ea7619425b9c96df81bbd4f0efcd1.png

f2ed2ab03e7d70ce8cabcda4f9be5226.png

Thanks, fellers

Top shelf firewood, next next winter. It'll turn a deep, dark brown after a couple of days in the sun.

Reactions: nrford
Nice.

I thought I might have something good. I only got a half dozen rounds on the scrounge, but it was a fast and easy roadside pickup. I was hoping it wasn't poplar. The bark looked too different.

Thanks!

Poplar is usually stringy as chit from my experience....

This mulberry has only been split for about two weeks. The split on the left was on top and the color has already turned. Gonna be a while but I can't wait to use it.image.jpg

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Like the woodsman says, it is pretty sparky stuff. Be careful if you open the stove to move coals around.

+1 on the mulberry. I have processed several of these this year. Splits easy - wet on the inside. Turns dark after splitting. Close relative to the Osage, hence the sparkyness!:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.