Portable Tile Hearth Pad Step-By-Step Tutorial

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodButcher80

Feeling the Heat
well , i was just about to make a hearth pad over the weekend when i decided to tote the camera into the garage with me , just to help anyone out who might paroose along this site looking for hearth pad ideas...... i got sick and tired of replacing those ugly hearth rugs. by the time you can see an ember in the hearth rug its too late and it leaves a big burn mark . the whole project cost about 75 bucks(oak trim was like 30$ by itself!) . im happy because i can take it to my next house if i move as well as clean under it if need be. its about 60 pounds though!

i used:

3/4" exterior grade plywood
1/2" hardi-backer board (waterproof)
1 1/4" hardi backer specific screws with 'square bit' to put in drill (more torque)
15' of oak trim from lowes
PL375 construction adhesive tube
stain and polyurethane
silicone caulk
12" porcelain tile (hardest and toughest)
1/4" spacers
thinset mortar and SANDED GROUT (be sure to use sanded to make the bond stronger)
grout sealer
rubber pads for the bottom of the pad so it wont scratch floor or move

well the pics are self explanatory . i liked the 12" tile since 36" was roughly the span i wanted to cover, and 3 tile wide worked out great.
be sure to use hardi backer board, its only like 8$ and works as a waterproofing membrane for the plywood below and strengthens the overall pad.

1. lay out design with spacers
2. incorporate wood trim or tile or metal trim .
3. cut the plywood and slap some thiset on it and lay down the cement board
4. screw it down every 4"
5. let dry 24-48hrs
6. lay tile dry to space it out
7. mix thinset again and lay tile on cement board
8. lay tile in mortar.
9. let dry 2 days.
10. mix grout and spread.

i like to leave the trim on while laying the tile. so then i have a permanent corner to butt my spacers off of. ive learned from past mistakes on this part. i do , however, leave one side of the trim off so i can drag the trowel off the cement board without getting the wood messy .
when all tile are laid and dry i put the last piece of stained and polyurethaned board down. i use finishing nails and PL375 wood glue for the trim.
be sure to seal grout. i use a roller to apply the grout sealer. works great.

any questions just ask! hope it helps someone out

IMG_2623Custom.jpg

IMG_2589Custom.jpg

IMG_2590Custom.jpg

IMG_2591Custom.jpg

IMG_2593Custom.jpg

IMG_2594Custom.jpg

IMG_2597Custom.jpg

IMG_2607Custom.jpg

IMG_2608Custom.jpg

IMG_2609Custom.jpg

IMG_2610Custom.jpg

IMG_2614Custom.jpg

That looks really nice, and how great that it's portable!
I was planning to get a stove board and thinking how yucky looking they are, but this makes a homemade one look doable!
Thanks for posting it and for the PICS!

ya, its really easy .
well , i did my countertop in italian porcelain so i had the wet saw (cheap harbor freight one) and all the trowels and floats so it was cost effective for me... theres just something about tile that looks so nice. when i put it in front of the stove , i wish i did the whole room in tile! cheap too!

Status
Not open for further replies.