Porting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
drumbum said:
smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:
drumbum said:
Pretty sure 40% gain is in cut speed not HP. By changing port timing you can gain hp, tq, and rpm. A 70cc saw won't automatically cut faster than a 50cc saw in 10" wood, but it will cut faster in 24" wood. You can only spin a chain so fast and a larger displacement can hold rpm in the cut (torque) with a longer bar. No replacement for displacement.
Thats pretty much right on except there is a replacement for displacement .....its called the pipe. Like adding a turbo to 2 cycle.

Your nuts......Now after you do all this you got about 1000.00 into a 50cc saw, and an ockward pipe. Then its still not a 70cc work saw it is now a toy! (Cookie cutter) So to port or not to port! If its not clear by now enjoy.

You can do some modest mods yourself and get some respectable gains FOR FREE. A lighter saw making more power and cutting faster is a good thing. I should have said there is no replacement for a longer stroke crankshaft. I don't think I will be adding a turbocharger, supercharger, expansion chamber pipe, velocity stack, fuel injection, flux capacitor, wheely bars, or anything else that would make the tool less useable for the task of making firewood.

Yea I have a ported 76.5cc saw and its in my hand all the time (Much faster than any 50cc in any wood). Back-up only by a 192t stock. Very fast combo the need for a 50cc is not need in my wood. Now to take a 50cc saw and try to get it to proforam like a 70cc saw you will have the extra weight put on it with an ockward pipe and still not be as nice as a 70cc saw not to metion you spent way more and under perform.
Oh and putting a Pipe on a saw is nothing like a turbo at ALL!

OMG...this is on page 7 now? LMAO

Bocefus78 said:
OMG...this is on page 7 now? LMAO

Lets turbo that 066 heck it will even run under water! :lol:

I'm more of a nitrous fan rather than a turbo. Whos up for that build?

Bocefus78 said:
I'm more of a nitrous fan rather than a turbo. Whos up for that build?

I would think the sneaky Pete set-up would work fine.......

Oh and putting a Pipe on a saw is nothing like a turbo at ALL!
The heck it isn't. Both use exhaust flow to increase cylinder pressure.

Push it real good. :zip:

Yea I have a ported 76.5cc saw and its in my hand all the time (Much faster than any 50cc in any wood)
Thats the opposite snerio from what we have been discussing. We have been takling the smaller saw ported and a larger saw not ported. But in small wood say 12" or less my 346 would equal or best a 70cc saw. I need to dig up some vids of Kevins Partener 5000. You talk about an eye opener.

wkpoor said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvMSbSBZQbw&feature=related
At the very end of this GTG vid they are cutting a 28" beech. The 7900EHP smokes everything tested up to that point. Tell me porting isn't needed. That saw is a daily user.

Thats been my point, lol its a 80cc saw 70-80cc's is all I run ported. Thats where its at. I know what it takes to get through 55 inch red oak your preaching to the choir! lol ( But I dont claim its 40 percent over stock) Nor would I pipe it because its already got more than enough to do the job now. Its all just firewood!

Attachments

• zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 478
smokinjay said:
Its all just firewood!
exactly Jay, which is why I'm removing myself from this post. We're not racing saws we're cutting firewood........ :roll: ;-)

smokinjay said:
Its all just firewood!
exactly Jay, which is why I'm removing myself from this post. We're not racing saws we're cutting firewood........ :roll: ;-)

Scotty Overkill said:
smokinjay said:
Its all just firewood!

lol Me too! I just cant drink enough kool aid to justify a 1100.00 50cc firewood saw. When I could be running 372,460,7900 and so on many more good 70-80cc saw out there. For under 1100.00 ported or not!
Guess I can put some duals on my truck and sell it as a turbo charged s-10!

And my last post the link shows a guy cutting firewood (exactly what you've been preaching about) with a 79cc saw ported right after an 066 and if I remember right that saw outcut the 084 too. Its right at the end.

Where do you come up with this stuff. Nobody has suggested any pricing on anything other than every ported saw I own has cost way less than stock. The talk about pipe was just to say it is possible not that anyone would cut firewood that way. You keep steering this around. I'll have plenty of big wood to cut on at my GTG. Bring your saws and we will run them and see. That is exactly what you saw so I say bring them over and we will cut on exactly the stuff your taking about and see how stuff compares. And even if you don't show there will be others with similar equipment and we will vid.

wow, I was reading through this thread and it reminded me of a couple of car forums I am on.
one wants massive cubic inches the other wants a screaming little engine
agree to disagree here
two different trains of thought
me..........
NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT
my thoughts, take a small engine, modify the heck out of it,runs as good as a large engine
change something on the large engine, blow the little one away
nowhere to go with the little one
large one will run alot longer

ironpony said:
wow, I was reading through this thread and it reminded me of a couple of car forums I am on.
one wants massive cubic inches the other wants a screaming little engine
agree to disagree here
two different trains of thought
me..........
NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT
my thoughts, take a small engine, modify the heck out of it,runs as good as a large engine
change something on the large engine, blow the little one away
nowhere to go with the little one
large one will run alot longer
BINGO!!! You hit the nail on the head....and I said I was done here! ;-P

Funny stuff,
the argument here is "to port...or not to port". On the other sites the argument is "who" to have the saw ported by, which can be as important as if to port it at all.

Nixon said:
Modded saws are totally pointless !
stock 390 Xp with 8 pin rim .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xHXQtSDqfU&feature=related

Ported and MM with 8 pin rim .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wG4T_NVsQg&lr=1&feature=mhee
Yep , porting is useless . Buy a MS 290 and be happy that You didn't cut Your legs off ! :)
This place is just unbelievable. The guy shaved 7secs off the cut (which is amost in half) and you say pointless? Besides the fact that I think the ported run was still slow in my world, but 7 sec gain over what he had in that wood and you ask why? What don't you see there?

WK, I think he was being sarcastic. I personally like the way that ported XP sounds........gaARRRRRRRRRRAHHH...... :)

I like it. It did wake up the saw.
Its still the same saw, just better.

wkpoor said:
Nixon said:
Modded saws are totally pointless !
stock 390 Xp with 8 pin rim .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xHXQtSDqfU&feature=related

Ported and MM with 8 pin rim .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wG4T_NVsQg&lr=1&feature=mhee
Yep , porting is useless . Buy a MS 290 and be happy that You didn't cut Your legs off ! :)
This place is just unbelievable. The guy shaved 7secs off the cut (which is amost in half) and you say pointless? Besides the fact that I think the ported run was still slow in my world, but 7 sec gain over what he had in that wood and you ask why? What don't you see there?

lol its really funny when you say 7 seconds and with big cuts like that you would have a total of maybe 7-10 cuts on a log. That in turn saves 1-1/2 min's on the day. Now add your fuel cost both ways lets see what it really cost to save that kinda time. Short answer to this whole thing is run stock. If you want to spend all your time with saws Port (Oh and dont forget your going to be fueling more often) so that 1-1/2 could be used up. I use both there just not this big advantage that everyone seems to think.

When the truck that brings me to the job gets 10mi per gallon or less with a load a few ounces more in the saw is a mute point. And if I drive to town even one more time than usual this yr I'll have burned 10xs the difference a ported saw burns so the fuel issue is a non issue for me.

wkpoor said:
When the truck that brings me to the job gets 10mi per gallon or less with a load a few ounces more in the saw is a mute point. And if I drive to town even one more time than usual this yr I'll have burned 10xs the difference a ported saw burns so the fuel issue is a non issue for me.

Its one of those things that makes you say hmmmmm...... I would like to add up the last 8 years and see what is quicker but experince tells me its all just a trade off. I once was hype up on the ported fast saws and still running one, but saving time and really cutting more wood? Probally not.

Status
Not open for further replies.