Porting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MasterMech said:
I dare say that anyone who cares enough for their saw to get it ported keeps up on the maint far better than the average Joe, hence reliability is gonna be pretty good. Outside of dirt ingestion/straight gassing, most stock saws die from overheating due to NEVER seeing a good cleaning!
couldn't say it better myself, MM. I'm all about a good cleanout everytime I use the 041AV Super....it was built in the late 70's, re-rung two year's ago, starts cold in two or three pulls, and purrs like a tiger!! One word, MAINTENANCE!!

:lol:
finalLEE said:
Save your money , buy a bigger saw, muff mod and air filter if you want more power and call it good.

I would have to agree. Ported firewood saw only cuts your fuel mileage down. Only time its a benefits is when your at the limits of your saw. Sure hope your not there offten because its all pit stops and hope you have a good crew!

I was going to have all of my saws modded but decided not to just to drive wk up a wall. :lol: I may have the armature in the electric one rewound and epoxied though. :coolsmirk:

BrotherBart said:
I may have the armature in the electric one rewound and epoxied though. :coolsmirk:

Now THAT is just going overboard.

Jags said:
BrotherBart said:
I may have the armature in the electric one rewound and epoxied though. :coolsmirk:

Wait till you hear what I am having done to hop up my pole saw.

BrotherBart said:
Jags said:
BrotherBart said:

220V or three phase? Do tell...

Jags said:
BrotherBart said:
Jags said:
BrotherBart said:

220V or three phase? Do tell...

Best way to hop up a pole saw....3 hits and give the top handle saw to Cowboy! :lol:

smokinjay said:
finalLEE said:
Save your money , buy a bigger saw, muff mod and air filter if you want more power and call it good.

I would have to agree. Ported firewood saw only cuts your fuel mileage down. Only time its a benefits is when your at the limits of your saw. Sure hope your not there offten because its all pit stops and hope you have a good crew!
I would bet at the end of the year I haven't put enough more gas through my saws to make much difference. My guess is my lawn mower uses way more if I have to mow a time or 2 more if it rains alot this summer. So whats the point. You probably drive a truck that get 10mi to the gallon and are worried about a couple more oz of gas in a chainsaw.
BTW those new fangled EPA stoves are crap and you'll never convince me otherwise. :coolsmirk: Just kidding

wkpoor said:
smokinjay said:
finalLEE said:

I would bet at the end of the year I haven't put enough more gas through my saws to make much difference. My guess is my lawn mower uses way more if I have to mow a time or 2 more if it rains alot this summer. So whats the point. You probably drive a truck that get 10mi to the gallon and are worried about a couple more oz of gas in a chainsaw.
BTW those new fangled EPA stoves are crap and you'll never convince me otherwise. :coolsmirk: Just kidding

Well I run in the 30 cords a year (Not all for myself) but I run a ported 460 and the one thing you can count on is its empty......Oh and hope someone brought extra fuel if not someone going home less than full.
Wasnt a big deal back in 2007 but now its sure puts a pinch and 5.00 gallon is soon to be here. Oh, and I just put the stock muff cover back on and its doing better.

now you guys need to cut wkpoor some slack.

I would think doing all the work on a clean new saw would be perfect.

If you are milling all day and say the stock 660 is getting the job done then I say heck ya no mod, better fuel mileage yadda yadda yadda. But if your felling and bucking in the woods and you could take a 346 to do the job of a 372 then there is no fuel penalty and you saved you back all day. Everything has to be in context. And if your saw is faster unmodded then you had a bad mod job. It does happen and not all saws respond well to mods. But the only true measure is timed tests. You guys can try and blow smoke up my but all day on this but I have seen side beside tests with good mods against stock and it is night and day. But hey...... one of the reasons for GTGs is to see others work and debunk the myths. No one can really claim anything either way unless they show others the proof. I encourage anyone to come to my or anyone elses GTG and see for yourself. Both Ed Hurd and Eric Copsey are saying they will be at my GTG. For anyone who thinks they know more than these pros I say bring it on. Bring your saw and state your point. Brad Snelling will be there and he usually brings in about 20 saws mostly large bore Stihl. You'll be able to run and compare side beside stock and modded. Some just muffler, some ported, and some are supposed to show 2 piece heads running alcohol. Bring your stock 660 and we'll run it right beside a stock 395.

mecreature said:
now you guys need to cut wkpoor some slack.

I would think doing all the work on a clean new saw would be perfect.

wkpoor only see's one side. Been there and back many times. Better off buying the right saw for the job in the first place: With that said I do run a very quick ported 460 and it is the main battle wagon on the field most of the time. Doesnt mean it works for everyone and at times not even myself. Look at lee's post he does this stuff for a living and i supply many stove's and furnaces. Its experience thats all.

See the sticker that says Magnum! ;-)

Who knows how to start a papal acct for donations so jay can get a magnum tattoo????? ;)

Bocefus78 said:
Who knows how to start a papal acct for donations so jay can get a magnum tattoo????? ;)

LOL, You know if its a big one when the mags are all singing! ;-) But how offten does a 50+ oak come up? :lol:

Bocefus78 said:
Where are you going to put it.

oldspark said:
Bocefus78 said:
Where are you going to put it.

Well at times it will say mag. When I get excited by that big oak it will say "This tattoo was made in Indianapolis's Indiana by a very cute woman just for smokin!" ;-)

Well I guess its like anything in life. I've been to GTGs with loggers that wouldn't run anything but a modded saw and then there is someone who says the opposite. I try to go with what most people are saying just like what most people on this site have said about EPA stoves. I try to take from experiences also like the time I first found out about square chain. Armed with that knowledge and having seen it for myself I was telling a dealer one day about it. Mind you a dealer now. No way was I going to convince him there was such a thing let alone it could make your saw cut faster. Some time later he apologized and admitted it does exist. But the point was until he went and checked for himself I was a dump a**. So when the boys show up on June 2nd I'll make sure I take polls on the subjects talked about here. That way any ideas expressed here won't just be my opinion. AT lunch I'll play 20 questions to the group and porting, fuel, right saw for the job, ect ect.

wkpoor said:
Well I guess its like anything in life. I've been to GTGs with loggers that wouldn't run anything but a modded saw and then there is someone who says the opposite. I try to go with what most people are saying just like what most people on this site have said about EPA stoves. I try to take from experiences also like the time I first found out about square chain. Armed with that knowledge and having seen it for myself I was telling a dealer one day about it. Mind you a dealer now. No way was I going to convince him there was such a thing let alone it could make your saw cut faster. Some time later he apologized and admitted it does exist. But the point was until he went and checked for himself I was a dump a**. So when the boys show up on June 2nd I'll make sure I take polls on the subjects talked about here. That way any ideas expressed here won't just be my opinion. AT lunch I'll play 20 questions to the group and porting, fuel, right saw for the job, ect ect.

I have been reading over at Arborist. They sure do have an enthusiastic modded saw group there.
How much would I have to pay to get a 346XP maxed out by one of the Doctors. Just curious.

wkpoor said:

Thats like walking into a bar asking who the alcoholic....lol Spending well over 5k on saws NOT ME! Good guy on a ported saw will love to see a couple guys running 361's stock if you know what I mean! ;-)

Attachments

• wood lot 1.jpg
    wood lot 1.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 282
mecreature said:
wkpoor said:

I have been reading over at Arborist. They sure do have an enthusiastic modded saw group there.
How much would I have to pay to get a 346XP maxed out by one of the Doctors. Just curious.

You don't want to hangout with those hoodlums hahaha

Seems like the going price is about $250 for a woods port. Honestly though, as has been said, a muffler mod and a sharp chin is good enough....... but then again, I'll be grinning ear to ear running the ported 372 this weekend.

HittinSteel said:
mecreature said:
wkpoor said:

Seems like the going price is about $250 for a woods port. Honestly though, as has been said, a muffler mod and a sharp chin is good enough....... but then again, I'll be grinning ear to ear running the ported 372 this weekend.

250.00+ 500.00 or so for the saw. Thats a 750.00 for 50cc saw. Oh and I laugh all day long myself! :lol: Still wonder what that magium sticker is all about?

smokinjay said:
HittinSteel said:
mecreature said:
wkpoor said:

250.00+ 500.00 or so for the saw. Thats a 750.00 for 50cc saw. Oh and I laugh all day long myself! :lol: Still wonder what that magium sticker is all about?

just taking a peek at the dark side HittinSteel.

I guess the best deal would be a good used saw and port that thing.

I can see the fun in it. Its the whats next thats the killer.

mecreature said:
smokinjay said:
HittinSteel said:
mecreature said:
wkpoor said:

Yes I have under $500 in my ported 372.......

HittinSteel said:
mecreature said:
smokinjay said:
HittinSteel said:
mecreature said:
wkpoor" date="1330734010 said:

Now your talking, thats my kinda of saw!

smokinjay said:
HittinSteel said:
mecreature said:
smokinjay said:
HittinSteel said:
mecreature" date="1330734468 said:
wkpoor" date="1330734010 said:

Now your talking, thats my kinda of saw!

It's not the prettiest, but it will last a long time....just got new seals, carb kit and a new piston.

Status
Not open for further replies.