Possible Bad Thermopile on HNG Townsend 1?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NewHomeOwner93

Nov 7, 2022
Michigan
I have a Heat N Glo Townsend 1 gas stove, acquired through purchasing a new home. Don't know the age of the unit. I've been trying to get it working for a few days now. Here is what I have tested so far:

1) Confirmed wiring per the user manual
2) Successful light of the pilot, stays on when releasing pilot valve
3) Rearranged logs per user manual
4) Cleared out old ember material, as well as all other debris in the unit
5) Checked main burner for any blockages, couldn't find any.
6) Disconnected the thermostat

When I turn on the burner, nothing happens. I have tested the voltage across the thermopile leads and found the following:

With burner OFF, and pilot lit, ~550mV
With burner ON, and pilot lit, 0mV

Is this a bad thermopile? Or is it a deeper wiring issue? I'm guessing that the burner won't ignite because the thermopile voltage is dropping below the required threshold to activate the main valve, but I'm not sure why it only seems to happen after I flip the switch. I have a new thermopile on order, but figured I'd pose the question while waiting on shipping to see if something else might be needed.

Thank you!!!

If you jump those terminals, it will bypass the switch, ruling that out as the problem. It could also tell you if the t-stat is working

Just wanted to update. Replaced the thermopile today, and the main burner fired up just fine after flipping the switch. Also working with the remote. For those that might be interested, the voltage of the new Thermopile was in the 180mV - 230mV range after flipping the switch.

Thank you for the help and suggestions DAKSY!!!

Reactions: 49er and DAKSY