Possible over fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Louis

Oct 21, 2018
Ocean County, NJ
Had one of my best burns last night. From time of start to where I could reload on a good bed of embers and coals was a solid 6 hours.. doesn’t seem long but for new I figured out EPA stove with mediocre wood it was great.

At one point in the burn my stove top temp was reading 630-650 so I kicked on the blower to cool it down a little and it stayed about 630-650 for a good 45min to an hour with the fan on a medium high setting.

Was just about to start a new fire from a cold stove and noticed the glossy black spot on the wood stove and on the metal of the door. During last nights burn the stove glass got a burnt film on the glass in that same spot which I cleaned before these photos.
It used to get hazy cuz of the wet wood, not when it gets spots it looks more burnt then a haze. Much tougher to clean off. Did I over fire the stove? Even though the stove top temps read and stayed at 650 or below I’m sure the inside fire was capable of still going higher in temp. The flue temp showed 400 the entire time of the high burn.

Did dollar bill test after seeing this and it could use more resistance in that spot for me to pull the dollar from the door closed but there were other spots like the upper left hand of the door that there was minimal resistance. Assuming I’ll need to change the gasket after this season, or sooner?

Thank you and sorry for the long read.
672B5582-94AE-4446-AAB7-CE3E03E7E5DE.jpeg BCE693F6-1A1C-4EA8-9CAC-F065698E8F9C.jpeg 0055E649-C952-4BB0-8750-9CC7D9DD90A4.jpeg E29D58D1-D599-495D-92E1-B19D3312E9EA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely not overfired. What you are seeing looks like a small air leak cooling down the wood gases and causing a spot of creosote formation. Carefully examine the door glass gasket in that area to see if it is under the glass or loose in that location. If the glass gasket is in place correctly try tightening the clamp in that are - just a little, maybe 1/4 turn. Also make sure that the door gasket is clean. I see a little splinter of wood on the left side.

Reactions: Louis
Definitely not overfired. What you are seeing looks like a small air leak cooling down the wood gases and causing a spot of creosote formation. Carefully examine the door glass gasket in that area to see if it is under the glass or loose in that location. If the glass gasket is in place correctly try tightening the clamp in that are - just a little, maybe 1/4 turn. Also make sure that the door gasket is clean. I see a little splinter of wood on the left side.

Thank you sir for the response.