Possible to damage stove with low blower fan setting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 4, 2018
Connecticut, USA
Is it possible to damage or overheat a pellet stove by setting the blower fan (the one that blows over the heat exchanger) too low?

I have a Ravelli RV100. It's kind of loud. About twice as loud as I remember in the show room, on any of the 5 power levels. They advertise "whisper quiet," and I bet the display unit in the show room had the fans under-volted to make it much more quiet. They configured it at the store, shipped it to me, and I performed the install, so I wasn't able to talk to a tech.

The fan speed settings are hidden behind a passworded menu, as are pretty much all settings, including C/F units display... I have the password, but the fact that I was locked out of them makes me worried they did that so I didn't destroy the stove.

I want to lower the fan speed by about 25% across all power levels, but I'm worried about heat build-up in the heat exchanger damaging the stove. I'm very new to pellet and wood stoves. Any veterans care to weigh in?

Cant speak for that brand and model, but all pellet stoves I've ever seen or heard of, have an over temp protection of some sort. Like shut down or derate the auger etc.

I've got a newer lopi and it won't let me set the blower speed/power at too much of a difference compared to the rate of feed. I'm sure damage could happen, but as deezl smoke said, most have a built in protection.

I've got a newer lopi and it won't let me set the blower speed/power at too much of a difference compared to the rate of feed. I'm sure damage could happen, but as deezl smoke said, most have a built in protection.

Hm, so they keep you locked to a small range, too. Ours will let you set it to anything, because it's in the hidden menu you shouldn't be accessing...

The Lopi Deerfield in your sig? Nice. They look beautiful, and the control pad looks pretty easy to use. We almost went with that model but decided on a Ravelli because it fit our house better.

Yeah wife likes the look of it over the harmans and we live like 20 minutes away from Travis industries where they make them, try to support local business and all. Hind sight wish I would have gone with a harman though

Yeah wife likes the look of it over the harmans and we live like 20 minutes away from Travis industries where they make them, try to support local business and all. Hind sight wish I would have gone with a harman though

At the risk of thread-jacking, but it’s my own thread, so...

Why do you wish you would have gone with the Harman? The Deerfield looks like a fine stove.

At the risk of thread-jacking, but it’s my own thread, so...

Why do you wish you would have gone with the Harman? The Deerfield looks like a fine stove.

I like the deerfield, but we had a warranty defect with a motor within a season, and the back case is screwy and vibrates terribly when at even medium power. It's caused by the case not having enough fasteners in it and at higher speed it generates a little more vibration that causes the case to contact the stove itself. The vibration I fixed by putting an oven glove in between the case and stove and the warranty issue (faulty blower motor I believe was exchanged and done 100% free, still under warranty) for a 4000 dollar stove the glove pisses me off, I could put a self tapping screw or something but don't want to void the warranty, so I've been waiting on lopi and my dealer for 10 months so far for a fix. The other issue is, since this model is so new, there is just not much support for it. If you have an issue with it, you're at the mercy of the dealer. Whereas if you have a harman, there is a ton of support on this site. Hopefully that changes and more people get them, but for now, if I was going to do it over again for the same money, I would have gotten the xxv I believe .

Other that, we really do love it. Also, if my grammar is atrocious or anything, I'm typing this all on a phone which is a chore