Post your best tips!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
either technique or equipment what works best for you and saves you time or just safer way of doing it?

w ell i think the best money ive spent on wood moving gear would have to be the "poor mans loader". its a little trip bucket for the three pt hitch. cost me $60 on the side of the road. I put an extra long draw pin and a chain clevis on the top link, back under the log, lift it up, chain it off, and drag it to the woodshed. i think its best to get the logs to the woodshed and cut and split and stack all in the same place. leave the brush in the woods!

Doesn't save me time, but the county brush dump heats my family for free. Others use it to drop off trees and I pick them up.

Matt

Got a three point hitch pole boom ,welded two rebar ears on to hold a 40 foot cable with hooks comes in real handy.
Always shake your gas can to keep it mixed.

My favorite trick so far is a old boat winch mounted to the trailer you can pull logs straight on the trailer or use it in your rigging line to pull help pull a tree right where you need it to fall. winch was a freebee!

Attachments

• bar jig4.jpg
    bar jig4.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 696
always make sure there are a few of these around after a hard days work!!!!

Attachments

• eer.jpg
    eer.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 688
Think before you cut , where is the wood / tree going and where am I going. Stay alert and focused and stop cutting when you get tired. The limb you save may be your own. Put all your saws and tools away before starting on the beer.

When taking to the woods, do not take just the saw, gas and oil etc. Never go without a cant hook and axe. Those two tools are just as important as the saw.

If you are just beginning to tire, that should also be the ending of wood work. Tired bodies are targets for bad things to happen. Stay alert at all times.

Steal tip shoes

Make sure your cell phone is on your person if cutting alone,it does you no good if it is in your truck or on your tractor if something happens. Always let somebody know where you are at.

Gary

Read the forum daily. Ya might pick up a good tip.

for cutting long limbs....pinch them up in a log splitter (sideways) so you dont need someone holding them while cutting.....someone on this site wrote this and it has saved me hours of cutting time

adrpga498 said:
Read the forum daily. Ya might pick up a good tip.

Probably the best tip yet.

Backwoods Savage said:
When taking to the woods, do not take just the saw, gas and oil etc. Never go without a cant hook and axe. Those two tools are just as important as the saw.

If you are just beginning to tire, that should also be the ending of wood work. Tired bodies are targets for bad things to happen. Stay alert at all times.

+1 When you get tired is when things go wrong!!!

Next to my chainsaw my pulp hook is my favorite, must-have tool in the woods.

I have three gas-powered pieces of equipment . . . I wouldn't want to cut firewood year in and year out without any one of the three: a good chainsaw, a hydraulic splitter and my ATV.

I keep all of my gear -- extra chains, scrench, extra 2-stroke oil, files, etc. in a 5-gallon pail that I can cover . . . or leave open.

I tie my gas and oil containers together with a piece of clothesline . . . so I can hang it off the ATV, tractor or my shoulder if need be and free up an extra hand.

If I'm cutting in the woods and find that I'm pinching my saw, hanging up trees and in general just having a bad day . . . I usually figure it's time to go home and find something better to do since it seems as though things will often get worse . . . much worse . . . than get better the more frustrated and tired I get.

Hi -

Buy and wear proper PPE. I use a full helmet w/faceshield in addition to safety chaps.

Golf courses also usually have a wood dump area.

I recently had somebody here suggest "Tie a paintbrush to the Gas/oil can. It's always handy to clear debris from the oil and gas fillers.

Backwoods is right on with his suggestions. I replaced the handle on one of my cant hooks with a 6 1/2' length of Hickory. It will often twist trees loose that are hung up.

A high limb chain saw like http://www.amazon.com/High-Limb-CS-48-Chain-Saw/dp/B0000AX849 is a great way for someone who isn't interested in climbing and doesn't own a bucket truck to get a tree with a lot of large branches on the ground in pieces. The tip is to not use the saw like the directions indicate.

If you use the saw as indicated on the package you will most likely pinch the chain and get the saw stuck up in a tree. A second person standing on the opposite side of the branch will allow the chain to cut primarily on the top of the limb instead of cutting through the sides if you're standing directly under the limb. You need two people to play a game of tug of war with one of these things to use them effectively. The users need to be standing approximately as far apart as the limb is off the ground. This will prevent the saw from jamming. Besides, if you somehow manage to cut through the limb alone without pinching the chain, you'll end up with the limb on your head.

1. There is always less TP on the role than you think, get more before you start!

2. Get a buddy, I picked up the "chainsaw buddy" Baileys, I put it on my Eager Beaver electric.
It work well cutting the small branches. It is much safer than trying to hold the branch from moving with your foot.
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=CB41&catID;=

Attachments

• Picture 220.jpg
    Picture 220.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 436
webie said:
Steal tip shoes

Don't get caught stealing "tip" shoes :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.